Compression Amt. on '63 Gale

WetWillie

Cadet
Hi all. My engine is a 1963 40 hp Gale Sea King model no. GG18805A, serial no. 36X883461 sold by Montgomery Ward. My Clymer's "Old Outboard Motor Svc. Manual" for motors prior to 1969 w/30 hp or more doesn't give the compression amount. I'm getting 75 psi on both, but the top (no. 1) cylinder isn't firing at all and I wasn't getting much of a spark jump from no. 2.
I was waiting for the manual to come in which did yesterday, so I haven't pulled the flywheel yet. I'll do so today checking the ign. wires first for continuity, then the coil, and finally stator. But, could anyone tell me how much compression I should have? Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Compression Amt. on '63 Gale

there are no published compression figures, all the mfgr's keep it a big secret. it sounds low tho. but it could just be the guages. when was the last time it was run for any period of time. usuall like to see above 100 and atleast 10% of each other. no fire is probably coils or just dirty corroded stuff. laingsoutboards.com has a lot of the parts you will need. grew up with a 60hp 60ish Gale., was a good engine, never gave us any trouble,

WetWillie

Cadet

I bought it about 3 wks ago, the guy said it'd been sitting for "a few months". It fires up on the first try every time, but of course, sputters a lot. Seems to be all good otherwise. I'll check out that site you gave me when I get home this eve. Thanks for the info!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

a few months, will 3 or 15, we don't know. go to the engine faq forum (top of page boating forums) read 'awakening a sleeping outboard' that's a great little engine, they are basically a johnson/evinrude.