Composite Center Console

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, I think I've now decided to go with a center console. Is there any way to know when the manufacturers went to composite construction? I can only spend up to about $12,000, so obviously I am looking for a used boat. Am leaning towards a Kenner or Blue Wave at the moment, but really have no clue. I will be fishing mainly fresh water, and would like to have a 20-21 footer. I need a boat that will last a long time, and would like the composite construction. Also, how long before a motor typically begins to start needing more "attention?" What are the steps for buying in this price range is I guess my question????

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Composite Center Console

Different manufactures began to use "composite construction" at different times. In my opinion a lot of the composite techniques are inferior to good old fashioned glass laying.

As to motors needing "attention", a well cared for and maintained outboard can go decades with little more than regular maintainence. An abused motor can start to give trouble months after purchase. Look through some of the outboard repair forums and read up on the types and sizes of the motors you are considering, see what kind of problems people are dealing with. Might give you a little insight.

For 12K you should be able to find a very nice used center console in great condition. Talk with the owner see what kind of person they are, if they speak lovingly of their boat, then chances are it was well taken care of.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Composite Center Console

On the composite question, your best bet is to simply call the builder. Don't expect 100% reliable info from brochures, fans, or salesmen. And FWIW I agree with studlymandingo, a "woodie" that is well built would last many more years than I would want to hang onto it.

Kelly Cook