Completely Dead After Rain - Can't Jump

isaacvz

Cadet
Just got my 99 Chris Craft 210 back from storage. Sunny day, ran it up, sounding great. Dropped off the cover to get repaired.
Next day - heavy rain. Go figure.

I come out the next day to the lower unit on the ground, and the boat completely dead. Try to jump it - nothing. All the breakers on the console seem to be fine.

Is there some master breaker? Feeling pretty dumb.

IMG_3037.JPG
IMG_3036.JPG

airshot

Rear Admiral
Can't speak for Volvo, but my Mercury user had a master breaker on the engine itself..if that tripped, nothing engine related would work. However the dash accessories would work. Just food for thought......

isaacvz

Cadet
Can't speak for Volvo, but my Mercury user had a master breaker on the engine itself..if that tripped, nothing engine related would work. However the dash accessories would work. Just food for thought......
Hmm sounds good, there's three breakers together on a box on top of the engine, but they all seem fine. There's gotta be one I'm missing somewhere!

dubs283

Vice Admiral
A volt meter will tell you quickly where the loss of voltage is

Start at the battery and keep checking along the circuit until you find it

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The rain ran down your battery to far. Put a 120vac charger on it for several hours on a slow current rate .

isaacvz

Cadet
The rain ran down your battery to far. Put a 120vac charger on it for several hours on a slow current rate .
Won't jump.

Thanks all, I will get out there tomorrow when it's warmer with my multimeter and find the issue.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I woul bring tools and 150 grit sandpaper and clean every battery cable terminal and lug in the boat

isaacvz

Cadet
I’m seeing about 3V everywhere, but it still won’t start with a jump battery box on it. Gonna pull the bat and charge it up.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It won't jump or change with bad connections

airshot

Rear Admiral
The battery may have an internal short that sucks the jump down in power so it doesn't work. One thing to try when that happens is to bypass the battery completely, use jump battery directly to the cables with no connection to the battery at all. If the jump works then...you have a shorted battery. Have dealt with that a number of times over the years.