Compass vs. GPS

Compass vs. GPS

• Total voters

sandiegosteve

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Compass vs. GPS

I like to use the compass when I can't see any points of reference (offshore with no clouds). I use the GPS/MFD to get the target heading and periodically fine tune to it.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i use my compass more then gps cause i dont have the inteligence to even figure out why the gps beeps at me. bought 2 differnt gps units onyl had luck getting one to work once on the trip out to the lake then batteries died.... any way onyl time id use compass would be if i go out on lake michigan to which i live in michigan so i would just go east if i get lost as for the north and south i know the next 2 channels to the north and i know 1 to the south if i was off by a mile or so coming back to shore i would just look for some land marks.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use both together. Its difficult for me to pick a compass heading and stick to it, my boat has little keel, and requires constant correction, so my path thru the water tends to look like a slithering snake.

But operating at night, the glare of the GPS is more than I'd like, so I set it aside and use the compass to know which way i need to correct to. As I get within a half mile of shore, I'll start referencing the GPS more, to get myself on course and around a couple hazards, and make sure I hit the right marina. (made that mistake once)