compact question

ron nh

Cadet
Hi everyone, I am planning to buy a new apex 16 or 18 footer, up here in NH we have many lake,rivers,bays and coast so i want a small toon since i will be dragging it all over the region. Im thinking about a tritoon mostly for the option of more hp, Some friends have heard 2 pontoons are better than 3 on a small deck.does anyone have any advice on this? Ive never owned a pontoon so i dont have any real world experience with them. i have a thousand questions, I will start with this one. Thanks all.

The Rooster

Ensign
Welcome to iboats, Ron. Triple pontoons are much better for rough water handling & allows for larger engines and more speed. But, on smaller bodies of water, do you really need all that. I believe 20' is the smallest tri-toon I've ever seen by a manufacturer. Really depends on what you think your needs will be. Good luck !!!

ron nh

Cadet
Thank you for answering, The best striper fishing up here is piscatiqua river, the tide is 2nd or 3rd fastest flowing river in the world. i have seen 25hp boats going backwards when tides going out.though i will not be in open ocean ever w/ this boat.I do like the Idea of 75 or 90hp in a 16 footer for the rivers. and my kids say they dont care about water skiing, it would be nice to have the option anyway. I guess bottom line is i dont need tritoon but it sounds more fun.I think at this point im probably waiting a few months to buy anyway so I have time to sway back and forth.thanks again for response.