College Football

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
^^^ Yep, without better play from our QB and a more consistent run game it could be a long night ... I do have confidence that the defense will keep us in the game for a while though .. Who knows we could have a good game and pull it out .. ;)
I just hope we can get past USC and FSU .. We are pretty banged up now and those 2 games aren't gunna make us any healthier .. :eek:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
There seemed to have been a bunch of good games yesterday. Unfortunately life (and a house full of women ... wife's sister in from Colorado, so it was "ladies" day at my house ... wife, her sisters and a sister-in-law, 3 female children, and a female grandchild ... the 8 ladies sounded like 30) kept me away from the TV ...:facepalm: I know, I am loosing my mancard for another week ...

Like this?.... :)
ManCardRevoked.jpg

64osby

Admiral
I just watched the game again in the 60 minute version.

I'll be happy with that win until next Saturday....

Didn't watch the game, saw the replay of N's last TD. Which shouldn't have been one IMO.

aspeck

Staff member
I saw it. He was pushed out of bounds and went back in which he is allowed to do.

He wasn't pushed ... there was incidental contact, which is why the call was upheld upon review, review officials cannot overturn judgement calls, but in my judgement, there was not enough contact to say he was pushed or forced out of bounds ... play stands as called. Right call by the replay official, wrong call by the on-field official.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
He wasn't pushed ... there was incidental contact, which is why the call was upheld upon review, review officials cannot overturn judgement calls, but in my judgement, there was not enough contact to say he was pushed or forced out of bounds ... play stands as called. Right call by the replay official, wrong call by the on-field official.
Actually, the rule states forced out of bounds. Correct call by the on-field official as I saw it. There was no doubt there was contact. Actually surprised a pass interference flag wasn't thrown as well. Probably would have been thrown if he had not caught the ball.

MSU blew the game after having a big lead and now their fans are blaming the refs.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
ESPN and Fox Sports didn't think the call was correct. In all things where there are judgement calls there is the opportunity to make a bad call.

It happens, then you move on.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On ESPN College football tonight there was only one of the panel that thought it was a bad call and that was Mark May. His interpretation was that he did get forced out of bounds but said he didn't return in bounds fast enough.

Speaking of Mark may, jeez he is annoying. No wonder they took him off most of the bigger shows. He and Lou Holtz were the worst!

It happens, then you move on.
I agree. Constant whining of fans all the time about one call is annoying. There are dozens of calls in a game that may have possibly affected the outcome. How many scoring drives are kept alive by close calls? The ones at the end of the game get attention but I am sure there were more calls the deserved scrutiny in that game.

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Actually, the rule states forced out of bounds. Correct call by the on-field official as I saw it. There was no doubt there was contact. Actually surprised a pass interference flag wasn't thrown as well. Probably would have been thrown if he had not caught the ball.

MSU blew the game after having a big lead and now their fans are blaming the refs.

Right, forced out of bounds, and in my judgement he was not forced out ... the defender was touching him to keep contact and know where he was ... the defender followed him out of bounds. That is MY take, and why I say it was a bad call by the on-field official.

That said, you are correct, I hate blaming officials for losing games, if you had played harder/better, you wouldn't be in a position where the official can determine the outcome of the game. However, there have been some REALLY bad calls at the end of the games, which makes the pain all the worse, because you are so sure YOUR team is going to win, only to have the official botch a call. Last year's added time to the PSU v Michigan game, allowing Michigan to run another play ... THE 8 lateral pass at the end of the game where the runner was down by contact but the play continued, etc. It takes longer for some to get over it than others.

As for Mark May, don't even get me started. I kind of liked Lou Holtz, but May is an egotistical, pompus, southbound end of a northbound donkey.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Art, no wonder your wife doesn't let you watch football games anymore! :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Sure did, with their backup QB. They need tighten up if they plan on beating OSU next week.... Looks like MN is letting their game slip away....