College Football 2016

aspeck

Staff member
That is going to change the standings this week! WOW! Crazy good games today!

bassman284

Commander
GO HAWKS! sam and I are both having good days! Congrats to Nebraska. Gotta say, I never imagined Iowa's D could hold Michigan down like that.

aspeck

Staff member
Hey bassman, I am having a good day today also ... got to watch a PA team beat Clemson, got to watch Iowa beat Michigan and put PSU in the thick of the B1G championship hunt ... and got to watch 5 of the top 10 teams loose and PSU win a hard fought game over Indiana. Yep, it was a good day. Now it is time to go to bed!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't usually watch college football and I was flippin' the remote like a demon. LOL

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just an observation on the targeting rule ...
After seeing one of the Gator players ejected for targeting yesterday I am just wondering really on just the physics of making a high speed tackle ...
I've never played the game, at least with pads on, so maybe I am just speculating .. It would seem to be a natural thing to lower your head especially if lunging or jumping toward the other player ...
I know it,s a different thing with a kick return where you have a pretty much defenseless player trying to concentrate on the ball .
But when a receiver or running back is anticipating a tackle coming they lower there head usually and lead with the helmet .. So the guy making the tackle is probably gunna do the same ... And if a flag is throw it will always go on the tackler ... I'm just thinking it would be hard to make a tackle without lowering your head somewhat ...
Maybe a stupid observation ? idk ......

aspeck

Staff member
Spot on observation ... tough to teach not to do it. On a kick return back in high school I lowered my head to make the tackle and the runner lowered his head ... natural ... cracked my helmet from front to back ... concussions on both sides of the collision. It happens. I was going lower but runner lowered his head ... in today's culture I would have been sidelined for a game

bassman284

Commander
aspeck, interesting factoid. Pitt finally became bowl-eligible by beating #2 Clemson. Iowa finally became bowl-eligible by beating #3 Michigan. Is this fun or what?

aspeck

Staff member
Yep, bassman, this is fun!

And I would have expected that of Musky, but et to, Bruce? LOL

bassman284

Commander
I wish Iowa and Pitt could pay each other again. Those were some good games. In modern times they were hard fought and went to the wire, especially last year. At the risk of bringing up bad memories, Iowa won that one on a 57-yard field goal with 2 seconds to play. Unfortunately, nobody wants to play good teams home and home in the non-conference anymore. Gotta have those cupcake home games. Although this year one of our cupcakes whacked us so that isn't working well.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Maybe Chattanooga will be be one of those cupcake teams this week. Won't be holding my breath.

bassman284

Commander
Maybe Chattanooga will be be one of those cupcake teams this week. Won't be holding my breath.
Yeah, those cupcakes can be a scary mother. The one that got us was North Dakota St, an FCS team. Granted, pretty much the BEST FCS team, but still. NDST would probably end up being about a mid-packer if they were in the Big Ten. A lot of Iowa fans are very annoyed that we scheduled them because if you lose to an FCS team you get bad press and if you win, you get no credit. this game was scheduled because our Athletic Director played quarterback for NDST back in the '80s. A lot of folks want him fired because of this game. Again, it's a no-win deal.

University of Northern Iowa is a state school and in the FCS. Also quite good. We used to play them every year on a home and home and won a few, lost a few. A lot of Iowa fans hated that game. We finally dropped them when the B10 went to 9 conference games. It was decided that we couldn't afford to give up a non-conference home game every other year. It's all about the Benjamins.

aspeck

Staff member
Michigan's probable starting QB will be a Huston transfer and a young man fro our small town who transferred to a high school in FL so he could have a better coach. Will be rooting somewhat for John O'Korn.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Michigan's probable starting QB will be a Huston transfer and a young man fro our small town who transferred to a high school in FL so he could have a better coach. Will be rooting somewhat for John O'Korn.
I would think you would want OSU to win the Michigan/OSU game.