Coil wire? 2.3

chrisrooter

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I am going through my boat wiring and found coming off the positive Side of the coil a pu/b wire that leads to now where, it goes back along the top of the engine and stops with a butt connector on it but that's it. Starts and runs. I have a picture of what I am working on from here. Btw it's a 89 2.3l with cobra outdrive. The picture shows it goes to a leg on the starter selonoid but the pic shows there are 2 legs coming off my only has 1 and that is being used by a yellow and not sure what color color tracer. What to do with this extra wire. Also there is another wire coming off positive side obviously because she starts pu/r
image.jpg

chrisrooter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Coil wire? 2.3

A different approach. I found a sealed what looks like shrink tubing behind alt. looks like a purple/black goes into that. Is this a resistor? Then returns out of harness on the back top of engine and dead ends, looks like someone crimped a butt connector on it but nothing else nearby that I see to plug into it. My coil is a externally resistor type, so I think that bundle of shrink tube with 2 wires in/out to and shared with alt. has something to do with it. On a side note, my coil gets real hot to touch? If the resistor assuming that's what I have is no good would that cause hot coil. It starts ok and all that but damn hot. Also will this damage the coil in any way. I do carry a spare.

chrisrooter

Seaman Apprentice

Ok sorry for replying to my own post, but just looking for someone to pitch in. Here is some more info. I put a meter on the coil pos. side and grounded the other end of the meter, turned key on and reading up around 12 volts. So I think my external resistor is non existent. So this may explain the wire leading to nowhere.
So, new question. Can I install a ballast resistor. And is it fairly easy I assume I can get at a local auto parts store? No wonder my coil was hot as heck when running it last year, the few times I had it out anyway. Must have been boiling the fluid. Would this fix make easier starting for me too? Any input would be appreciated as always.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Someone replaced your starter solenoid with the wrong one. There should be another post that this wire connects to. It is hot while the solenoid is energized. It is used to bypass the ballast resistor.

You will measure 12V at the coil the way you are measuring it if the points are open. Close the points or ground the negative side of the coil and repeat your measurement.

Coils do run hot even with a ballast resistor.

chrisrooter

Seaman Apprentice

Someone replaced your starter solenoid with the wrong one. There should be another post that this wire connects to. It is hot while the solenoid is energized. It is used to bypass the ballast resistor.

You will measure 12V at the coil the way you are measuring it if the points are open. Close the points or ground the negative side of the coil and repeat your measurement.

Coils do run hot even with a ballast resistor.

Here's a twist. The starter solenoid is missing. It looks like i only have 2 solenoid s for trim? And p/o installed a battery cutoff switch. Rewriting the red batt. Leads and yellow to starter. Now the purple wire looks like it stopped right about where the selonoid used to be. In a series of 3 on a plate rear of engine. But I only have 2. Can I just leave this way or will I smoke my points too quick. How do install a resistor now or what to do with this purple/ black wire now.. Thanks guys

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have to have a starter solenoid. Where is that yellow wire you described in your first post connected to? Where does the cable on the starter connect to?

You also probably still have a resistor wire. Measure the voltage with the points closed and see what you have.

chrisrooter

Seaman Apprentice

Here are some pics, the yellow coming off my start runs up to the back of the engine, looks like its butt connected into the same harness the purple/b wire is coming from. I feel someone eliminated the relay when battery cut off was installed, you can see the purple/b in the picture just ending right there where I think a selonoid should go. Is there a possibility the resistor is in the harness and won't actually work unless the opposite end is hooked to,something positive, ie: starter solenoid?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

chrisrooter

Seaman Apprentice

I found this picture online. It shows a starter solonoid, with the yellow tp pos. leg, and purple hooked to -. Somebody definetly removed it and put in a disconnect switch. Should I just removed that thing and go back to what it should have. Maybe I could do a quick disconnect at the battery itself. What does everyone else to to cut power when not used?
image.jpg