Coil Testing.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone have the procedure for testing a coil,been so long I've forgotten.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pull the plug wire off the spark plug when running. If there's no change in the way the motor is running then that's your bad coil. The motor should bog down when you pull the plug wire.

Nordin

Commander
To test an ignition coil you need a spark tester with a adjustable gap.
The coil should jumpa a spark for 3/8 in or more in atmosphere.
But there can be other issues that cause no spark if you check with the coil connected to the engine.
To be really sure you have to test with a coil tester at bench.
You can Ohm test with a VOM but as I said in an other thread recently the prime winding of an ignition coil has a very low Ohm value, about 0,5-2,0 Ohm.
You are not able to check and see if the prime side is good or has a short cut in the winding with a VOM, a VOM tests resistance with a low voltage about 4-9 Volts depending on brand.
The ignition system put out 200+Volts to the coil prime winding.
With bad insulation between the windings in the coil the spark can jump inside it when you load it with high voltage.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The primary coil (thin wire) should not have very much resistance. Almost a short. The secondary will have 2K times that resistance.

ArvidWeimann

Recruit

Thank you for the video sir, you made my day. When I was unable to locate any essay samples online, a friend came to my aid and gave me an excellent suggestion. They advised me to find out several essay samples at this page to help me finish my essay project. It proved to be a priceless tool for my academic requirements.
Thank you for the video sir, you made my day.