coil/point mounting plate

68whaler

Seaman
'67 40 hp Rude 40773E<br />Trial mounting my new flywheel there is a slight catch between the flywheel and the ignition advance plate the coils and points are mounted to.<br />This plate seems to have quite a bit of wobble and I assume this isn't kosher. Waiting on my OEM manual in the mail so no idea how this plate comes off the top of crank. I would like to remove the entire assembly so I can lap the flywheel, then clean everything up. Advice folks?<br />Also, does anyone ever redress their points with crocus cloth and reuse?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: coil/point mounting plate

I rarely replace points or condensors. I simply use 600 sand paper folded over a slight peice of cardboard, and use the spring of the point to exert pressure. Then a very good cleaning with acetone.<br /><br />Can you tell where the ignition plate is catching? <br /><br />To remove the ignition plate, first disconnect the throttle linkage at the large spring that goes between the ignition plate's swing arm and the arm on the top of the throttle lever. Then loosen the 4 phillips screws near the centre of the igntion plate. It should lift off with the phillips screws captive.<br /><br />Once you've got it off, use Joe Reeves wobbly armature plate fix. This takes almost all the play out of a wobbly armature plate making it quieter, allow for accurate ignition timing, and in extreme cases prevent the coils from coming in contact with the flywheel magnet.<br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=020981

68whaler

Seaman

Thanks Paul. Are you just sitting there waiting for me to ask novice questions? :)

68whaler

Seaman

Paul, when I put the armature plate back on, can I slide the shimstock down from the top or must it be wrapped around the crank and then the plate installed? Sounds like it might be easier from the top if possible.

68whaler

Seaman

Geesh Paul, that worked slick. I first lapped the flywheel to the crank (old flywheel first with a fairly coarse comnpound then new flywheel with a finer mix). I used my dial indicators and decided thet the .0025 shimstock I had was just about perfect, stuck the shim to the riser cylinder with grease then played with the armature plate till it slid on. All is snug as a bug in a rug and the flywheel no longer touches anything. I suspect it was rubbing the magnets on the coils as they looked a little polished. Oh, I also used a nailset to put the dings in the wear plate. Thank you ever so much.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yup. :D <br />That trick works really well. I fiddled for hours with shim rings and what not trying to take out the slop. Joe Reeves trick takes all of five minutes, and works perfectly. <br />Shiny coil shoes are a typical sign of a worn armature plate bearing or setting them too far forward. All the paint should stay on them.