Coil help

DJacksonRN

Cadet
Sorry if this has been covered, but I searched and couldn't find the answer....

I have an '82 evinrude 90, in good condition. The other day I pulled a trigger (orange) wire out of one of the coils while putting the hood back on. I have a couple of extra coils lying around, but I believe they're newer, because they have the ground built in to one of the bolts, and no orange wire, just the two points (bottom one for the spark plug wire, top one that would normally go back to the power pack. Can I attach the orange wire to the upper (smaller) point on the coil? There's no way to re-use the old coil, the wire pulled out just where it would enter the coil. Thanks for the help!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Coil help

The coil that you describe.... has two terminals, one for the plug wire, one for that goes to the powerpack.... is the newer superseded coil that replaces the one you yanked the wire out of.

Bottom line.... install it and connect the orange wire to the smaller of the two coil terminals.

DJacksonRN

Cadet
Re: Coil help

Thanks for the quick reply! Figured that was the case, but didn't want to turn it into a flux capacitor and warp time....