Cockpit Cover Question

snmpgh

Cadet
I just purchased a Regal 256 Valanti. The previous owner had a new bimini top and camper curtains made last year to replace a worn out cockpit cover. I intend to put a new cockpit cover on in the spring. For those that have one, does yours cover the entire windshield (down the outside to the bottom) or just snap on the top. I have seen both and am guessing from the remains of snaps at the base or the windshield figure that is what used to be on my boat.

Thanks

Mike

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cockpit Cover Question

The object of a cover is to keep out the elements so a cover that extends down to the base of the windshield will do that a little better than one that snaps to the top of the windshield frame -- especially in a driving rain. Covering the windshield has another benefit in that it keeps the sun from beating on the interior.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cockpit Cover Question

Mike-
Back when I owned a cuddy cabin boat, I had a Sunbrella cockpit cover made to snap around the top of the windshield. I also had them make me a seperate windshield cover. The top edge the windshield cover had special "double snaps" that allowed the cockpit cover to snap to it. They worked pretty well and gave me the option of having the windshield covered or exposed.
The only problem it created was when trailering at speeds above 65MPH the cockpit cover would un-snap from the windshield cover. I solved the problem by slowing down a bit. :D