Cobra SX drive, too much play?

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I removed the drive prior to winter and did not notice anything funny but would be probably too busy to do so anyway during the removal.
Over the winter all I did was to replace gimble bearing and the bellows, for the I removed the pivot housing only.
Put put it all together and I notice way too much play, at least seems to me, any thoughts?
Could I have screwed something up?
Thanks

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
For sure that's way too much. Did you remove the swivel housing while doing the bellows? Normally you only remove the pivot housing. Sounds like you only removed the pivot housing so that should not have caused what you are seeing. Were you getting clunking when trimming the boat up & down before the work was done?

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Housing.jpgHousing.jpg
For sure that's way too much. Did you remove the swivel housing while doing the bellows? Normally you only remove the pivot housing. Sounds like you only removed the pivot housing so that should not have caused what you are seeing. Were you getting clunking when trimming the boat up & down before the work was done?

I hope I used the right name, attached is the picture of what was removed, I think it is just the pivot housing, that goes up and down.
Can't really recall clunking before when trimming, has been a while and probably did not pay enough attention.

Attachments

• Housing.jpg
    Housing.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 2

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Could the parts in yellow brake down or wear out?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled.png Views:	1 Size:	193.3 KB ID:	10738024
Any idea or replacement part numbers?

I guess need to remove the drive again and pivot housing? or maybe access tot hem from the bottom?

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So.... to answer my own question.
Looks like the part highlighted in yellow is gone on mine, causing the play.
Wonder what the name for it is an maybe a part number.
Click image for larger version  Name:	20190512_115703.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	10738059

I think washer is 3852557
and bushing: 3808228
Hope I'm correct.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
think you're on the right track there. I have never had to fix that particular problem, but see if you can still get the parts. Your transom mount says Volvo Penta, what year?
You could try looking in the Volvo parts catalog right here on iboats. Use your model number to look up.

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So just in case you do your own inspection and run into the same problem, my final solution was:
New STAINLESS STEEL STEERING PIVIOT SHAFT, part# - 913542 or 0913542 or 3852728 (interchangeable), in the post #4, it is the one in yellow on the left.

also 4 washers, part# 3852557, in post #4 they are above and below the bushing highlighted on yellow on the right.
and finally, a new bushing: 3808228, in post #4 above it is highlighted on yellow on the right.

part.jpg

On the crazy note, Volo redesigned this shaft to be part of the support bracket that you can see in the picture just below the shaft.
So when I went to the local dealer, instead of a $40 part it is now $500, plus $60 for the bushing and $2 for each washer.
So if I also had them do the repair, this would have been $1000 instead of $100, ouch.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I have some slop in this area myself, though not as much as yours, and may address this at the end of the season. When you removed the lower bracket to gain access to the shaft, bushing, and washers, is the gimbal housing held up by the steering arm above, or do you have to support it so it doesn't drop out of the transom mount?

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have some slop in this area myself, though not as much as yours, and may address this at the end of the season. When you removed the lower bracket to gain access to the shaft, bushing, and washers, is the gimbal housing held up by the steering arm above, or do you have to support it so it doesn't drop out of the transom mount?

You have to remove the leg to get access to that area. At that time, the remaining components don't require any extra support. Removing the bracket was a pita, I used two flathead screw drivers on the opposite ends as a wedge in the area of the dowel and a hammer, to get the bracket out. So your plan doing it at the end of the season is not bad, as normally you would remove the leg anyway to check alignment and grease the u-joints and check the bellows.

Maybe you are better off and only need to replace the bushing.