Coast Guard out in full force a few days ruined

Re: Coast Guard out in full force a few days ruined

I go to the same small lake most of the time, and last week ranger was at the ramp. He did a quick walk around the boat (on shore) and before I could get my licence and trailer reg. he says all set and have fun. They are just doing their job. Which is looking out for your safety and hopefully keeping morons off the water that could hurt you or god forbid your shiney new boat. Deal with it.
jeff

rndn

Commander

I always feel much more at ease once I see a patrol on the water. If I need them for some mechanical breakdown or just to keep the morons at no wake speed. I have always searched out a safety inspection, one to get the sticker, but more importantly to know that my boat is as safe as possible. I take my loved ones with me and I don't want to risk an oversight on my part.

MercGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He ignores wake-free zones. He thinks it's amusing to make a big wake near small boats. It's no wonder he attracts the attention of the lake patrol.

Sorry if I came on too strong.

Just to be clear, examples like the one mentioned above are absolutely what the water patrol SHOULD be doing. Helping people in trouble and protecting the rights of innocent boaters from the actions of inconsiderate, unsafe boaters are absolutely legitimate.

My objections pertain to repeated "courtesy inspections" on a little (2,100 acre) lake, or while peacefully anchored along the side of the Ohio river.

I'll keep quiet now; I apologize for polluting this fine board.

jl_photo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here in galveston texas the coast guard is relatively polite when having conversation and making inspections.

however they are exceedingly rude and even dangerous when operating their boats. they bully other boaters and are very aggressive.

i routinely see them do things that would get a civilian arrested.

there was a serious accident last weekend about 5 miles from the station. a rescue diver was needed but sadly un-available i think it took about 30 minutes to get a response judging from the radio chatter.

the coast guard in galveston will not tow your boat unless they arrest you.

Matthew_B

Seaman

however they are exceedingly rude and even dangerous when operating their boats. they bully other boaters and are very aggressive.

i routinely see them do things that would get a civilian arrested.

A video camera is your best friend. I but their chain of command wouldn't like it when it shows up on the local news stations.

Absolutely not my experience with the CG. County mounty water patrol yes, but not the CG.

Aquahound

Cadet

the coast guard in galveston will not tow your boat unless they arrest you.

The Coast Guard is not allowed to tow vessels unless in immediate distress or for law enforcement purposes. The wrecker and towboat companies lobbied for that long ago.

rndn

Commander

It must be a regional thing because my couple of dealings with the CG was nothing but polite and professional. I have seen them operate their vessals wit the utmost care for the other boaters.