Click when try to start engine, no crank

tcgravy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Turn key and get nothing but a click from the engine compartment. I have done a lot of reading and reviewed this link by Don S -
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035

Unfortunately still the same thing though - Have tested to find that the slave solenoid is in working order. Have also found that I have 12V to Starter solenoid (attached to starter). Circuit Breaker does not appear to be tripped (can't push it in easily).

Have tested all connections which seem to be good - so PROBLEM IS IN EITHER THE STARTER OR THE STARTER SOLENOID.

Can someone tell me how to determine if the starter solenoid (on starter) is bad versus the starter being bad? Or do these need to be replaced/repaired as a set??? Guidance please.

Thanks,
Tony

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Click when try to start engine, no crank

Probably going to have to pull the starter and test remotely. More than likely the starter solenoid is bad.

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

on starter, yellow wire/red tracer.....if that wire has voltage when ya turn keyswitch to start pos. and you still have the clicking noise ya got starter probs.

tcgravy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies guys. Ended up taking the starter (with solenoid) to a local starter repair shop. Had it completely rebuilt w/ new solenoid in an hour.....have since re-installed it on motor and it works great. Only cost me $100 - now thats great service.

Definitely would suggest this route to others - if you've determined that the "click" is NOT the slave solenoid and is the starter/starter solenoid, remove and take to get rebuilt.

Removal from the engine is certainly the most difficult task; luckily I was able to do it without removing motor.

Thanks again for replies.