Click, click, click but the starter is good...

no luck

Cadet
I have a 1976 Rinker with a 165 Mercruiser engine. When I try to start the boat the starter goes click, click, click. The starter will not turn over the engine but when I had the starter tested, it was good. What else could be the cause of this clicking? I have also tried several different batteries and tried jumping it with a truck battery.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Click, click, click but the starter is good...

Could be the engine is locked up or the drive is locked up.
Pull the drive first and see if it will turn over. If not, pull the spark plugs and try again, also see if it will turn over by hand ith the plugs out and the drive off. if not, engine is locked up,

no luck

Cadet

can the engine be turned with drive in neutral ?

Superslinky

Recruit

Don S,

Thanks for the reply (I would be no luck's brother in law),
We did pull the plugs and try to turn the motor over by hand with no luck but did not consider removing the drive before we tried it. We used a pry bar to try and turn the fly wheel and it wouldn't budge but again the drive was still connected. We did have it in neutral at the time we were trying to move it...

If the drive was locked yet it was in neutral would it matter or would we know the difference while trying to turn the fly wheel?

Also while the plugs where out we used a tiny LED and inserted it into each of the cylinders inspecting the condition of each and all looked good and clean. I know there can be other internal parts (below the rings) that could cause it to bind up but last year before it was stored all was good and the engine and drive ran fine upon putting it into storage so I can't imagine the cylinders being locked up or rusted in place. Oil looked good so I would think all internals are well lubed.

Any suggestions???

WizeOne

Commander

Did anyone think of trying to clean the battery terminals? Corroded/oxidized terminals make starters go click, click, click. Certainly not the only possibility but JUST A THOUGHT!

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Yes if the upper unit of the drive is seized it will still be locked up with the shifter in nuetral. Pull the drive and try.

James

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Did anyone think of trying to clean the battery terminals? Corroded/oxidized terminals make starters go click, click, click. Certainly not the only possibility but JUST A THOUGHT!

agreed.....sounds like a low battery or bad connection maybe.....it happens all the time on our work vans.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

We used a pry bar to try and turn the fly wheel and it wouldn't budge

That pretty much rules out dirty electrical connections being the problem.

It sounds like you are trying pretty much everything to avoid pulling the drive. Have you ever pulled the drive? It is actually very simple -- as long as it hasn't been on so long with no maintenance that it is rusted in place.

But yes, I would agree that something is locked up, and it is time to begin isolating things one at a time - starting with the outdrive - to see what is stuck.

no luck

Cadet

Thank you all for input on this, looks like the drive is going to come out to day . Do you know if there are cables, springs, o'rings.........that i need to look out for when i pull drive away ? Remember Im called , no luck ,cuz if it can go wrong it will or is already . Thx no luck

abrx7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you all for input on this, looks like the drive is going to come out to day . Do you know if there are cables, springs, o'rings.........that i need to look out for when i pull drive away ? Remember Im called , no luck ,cuz if it can go wrong it will or is already . Thx no luck

To remove the drive you have to first put your shifter into the forward position (this pushes the shifter cable all the way out of the bell housing). After that's done. Remove the speedo water line from beind the lower unit, remove the 6 nuts that hold on the drive and pull her off. An extra set of hands is always nice. They aren't that heavy but its always nice to have a helping hand.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

As mentioned, the outdrive will need to be in forward gear in order for it to be removed. That allows the shift "shoe" to be aligned in a such a way that the outdrive can be pulled off with no interference.

Your outdrive will not have the speedo line, so don't worry about that.

You will need to disconnect the trim rams and remove the six nuts. It SHOULD be able to be pulled off at that point. If it doesn't slide right off, then post again and we can give some suggestions if it gets stuck.

Also - take the time to go to the "adults only" sticky at the top of the forum and download the manual for your drive combination. LOTS of good (and helpful ;) ) information can be had from the manual. Good luck!

PS - Welcome aboard! :)

no luck

Cadet

Thank you for the info. sounds easy BANG!!!!! That was me just shooting my self in the foot. LOL Thx , no luck

no luck

Cadet

Well, starter is good. I pulled the drive and it was fine and yes it was easy to do.WOW!!!!! I sanded the top of the starter , torqued the ground bolt at the block and bought a new batt. fixed the points and it started right up but .......... I noticed A bit of water running down the side of the motor from under the manifold, right in the center/oil looks milky. How do i find out if its the head/head gasket or the block? It was running strong. HELP!!!!! and thx, NO LUCK.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok you ulled drive and started the engine? Was drive back on when started or was there water hooked up to the engine with drive off?

no luck

Cadet

YA , i put drive back on and diid that other stuff ,it started right up.water in oil . need to pin point the prob.?

NO LUCK

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If you have water in the oil AND water draining out from outside the engine it sounds like you have a cracked block. It is possible I suppose that it may be simply coming from the manifold/riser... but sounds like a cracked block to me. Time to pull the manifold and look.

no luck

Cadet

OK,
Thats what ill do, but it sounds like the block, dam. thx NO LUCK

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Well, look at the bright side... at least you will have more evidence of having chosen the right screen name. ;)

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

you need to check and see if the 'leak' is coming from the petcock under the exhaust manifold. it may need closing. where is the milky looking "right in the center/oil looks milky" location? oil can get under the motor in the bottom of the boat and mix with the draining water and look bad but is ok, just need to clean under the motor.

no luck

Cadet

Fishermark, well you are right, crack in the block 2 through 5 ,thx for the help. absolutly NO LUCK.