Clear coat troubles

msotelo

Cadet
A friend of mine just bought an old bass boat that was left uncovered in the south Texas heat for waaaaayyy too long. The paint has a clear coat finish, I should say had a clear coat finish, since it is all cracked and burned up now. My question is this, is there anything we can do to get rid of the burned clear coat, short of sanding the whole boat, base paint and all and painting it again? I apologize if I am asking in the wrong forum, and any and all opinions and advice are welcome.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Clear coat troubles

A few methods. One cheap fast method is go to a paint store and buy some penetrol. This will restore the shine to dull fiberglass. OR you can attempt to spray paint a new clearcoat after light sanding. Automotive clearcoat works fine for a bass boat.<br /><br />I just touched up my two boats with penetrol and they came out quite good for the little work required.<br /><br />Bob

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

msotelo <br /><br />Nope. Your probably going to have to do as you suggest in your question to get good results. I tried to restore a finish that had sat in the hot Alabama sun for about 5 years to no avail. Used Penetrol, 3M's restorer, wax, mineral spirits, spit, you name it. Of course go ahead and buy the Penetrol and try it. It's cheap and paint is expensive. Then you'll know. Good Luck.

msotelo

Cadet

Thanks a lot, guys. We'll be going with the penetrol first and see what happens. I Appreciate your help!!