Cleaning White Rub Rail Rubber?

shade788

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,<br /><br />I've been cursed with white rub rail! :p <br /><br />Just kidding. I bought this boat last summer and it looks like the previous owner hasn't cleaned the rub rail since the boat was made in 1980. The rubber is the larger kind about 2 inches wide.<br /><br />Anyone have any good ideas for cleaning it? It has mildew, black marks, dirt stains, and other darks spots on it. I tried using an sos pad with hot water. I even tried heavy grit sand paper and man that was a pain. And yet it still doesn't come clean.<br /><br />I was thinking of removing the rubber and soaking it in bleach or something like that. I don't have a $100 for new rub rail rubber so I am trying to clean this one.<br /><br />Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks :)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Cleaning White Rub Rail Rubber?

You can start by spraying it with bleach on a damp or drizzly day and let it set for a while.10 minutes or so.after that try soft scrub.If that does not work try wiping it down with thinners.That will usually let you know if it can be cleaned or if it has discolored.Last resort,you can buy a can of plastic and vinyl paint and change the color.You can also buy a yard or two of canvas or sunbrella and wrap it.4 inch strips should do .Good luck and let us know how you make out.Charlie

jmattor

Cadet

I have a bottle of Seapower inflatable boat & fender cleaner kickin' around the garage that works great on rubrails and fenders. It even cleaned nasty black grease and set in grime off of an old zodiac and brought back the original color. It's well worth the 10 or so bucks it cost me.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, I use Clorox scouring powder on mine, I'm also cursed with white on my boat :mad: . I cut the top off the can and empty the contents into a small bucket. I then mix the powder with water till it's a paste. Then I scrub with a cloth and small brush. Usually takes out all but the worst of stains and costs very little to whip up. Give it a try, might do the trick!

shade788

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the help!<br /><br />I ended up buying some Aceton and trying that. Took everything right off. Including the right corner of my registration sticker.<br /><br />I wasn't paying attention and the excess of my rag brushed the sticker and took some of the dye clean off. HAHA<br /><br />Thanks again :)