cleaning rust

Rick.

Captain
Re: cleaning rust

coolguy. You can't run 50 amps. through a thin wire. It's too much for it and it will melt. What I did was bend the rod into an L shape. Made a wooden cloths pin type clamp to hold it at the filler neck and used a small wire (that I dropped through the 1/8 inch hole for the suction line) to suspend the end of the rod. That wire must be insulated from touching the tank and I used a plastic drywall anchor that pinched the wire as I pushed it into the hole. The rod and/or the wire must not make contact directly or indirectly with your tank. Connect your pos. to the rod sticking up from the filler hole and the neg. to the tank handle. Best of luck. Rick.

jbjennings

Captain

I wish you wouldn't try the electrolysis method, Coolguy. It's not for young folks or old folks that don't understand how electricity works, either. Most folks DON'T!!! Electricity, water, and kids don't mix. I know you are very inquisitive and ambitious, as well as intelligent which is why I'll bet you're tempted to try it. Electricity doesn't care what or who you are, however, and you can only be electrocuted once.
I've used a pressure washer before on a nasty tank with good results but it didn't get it all out. I had to get my hands dirty and use a brush and rags and such. I also used a magnet recently that I found helpful to get out little metal pieces that somehow got in there. Of course the magnet won't pick up pure rust.
Good luck,
JBJ

coolguy147

Commander

i didnt see much difference running the thing at 10 amps anyways and lol before i got 6ft within the tank i shut her down first i did the thing for about 1 hour. 2moro i think i will borrow neighbors pressure washer and see how it goes ya that method was kinda scary bzzzzzzz:eek:

coolguy147

Commander

instead of using a pressure washer or a combination of this other idea got from somewhere.

what if u mixed salt and viniger together not sure of ratios in the 6 gallon tank not sure if u add water though.. mostly to get evry nook and cranny.

could use the salt method then wash out witht eh pressure washer?:rolleyes: