Cleaning Fiberglass??

dougo83

Cadet
So, this 1964 Atlas I picked up is nasty. Pollen, pine tar, mildew, all of it I pressure washed it, but I still have a good layer of grime. It's pretty old, so I wanted to check if things like CLR and Soft Scrub could be used.

tednv

Seaman
look up how to remove oxidation from gelcoat, there are a bunch of products, but usually you use a buffing pad with some sort of lightly abrasive oxidation remover followed by waxing/buffing. for stains or streaks try star brite black streak remover, the stuff is amazing at getting just about any kind of stain out of plastic, gelcoat, vinyl. There are many many videos on youtube too. HF has really cheap 7" variable speed buffers that work fairly well for personal use

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Pics always help us to help you!!! Depending on a LOT of variables, the gelcoat could require various methods to bring it back to somewhere close to it's original condition. Impossible to give you the BEST method without actually seeing what it looks like. However Gelcoat IS pretty much impervious to most chemicals so try what you wish. I KNOW that Oxylic Acid (found in most Toilet Bowl Cleaners) and a stiff bristle brush has done wonders with a LOT of "Dirty" Hulls. But again, Pics will tell the tale!!!

tpenfield

Staff member
Bleach, Iron Out, abrasive cleaners, etc.

I would imagine the gelcoat is pretty chalky so it will hold onto a stain.

Once you get it clean, there is a product called "PoliGlow" that may be a good choice for putting back a shine on an old chalky gelcoat. (I've used it with good results) Otherwise, you can go the fine sanding and compounding route, to restore the boat to a shine. However, often the finish needs so much sanding that you end up going right through the gelcoat and into the fiberglass.

dougo83

Cadet
No Title

I don't know how helpful this is, but it's the only pic I have right now.

Attachments

• photo263027.jpg
    photo263027.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0