cleaning carbs w/o removing - '85 115

seamoors

Cadet
Good Morning,

if it ain't broke, don't fix it. that being said, without rebuilding the carbs are there some spots i can clean just blow out with carb cleaner? I see a jet at the front, top of each throat. Also, the drain plug screws at the bottom on each side of each carb - any reason to open those and spray in there? Anything else?

Bought the carb rebuild kit, but now that it's running, trying to enjoy some summer

Thank you! Great forum!

seamoors

Cadet
Re: cleaning carbs w/o removing - '85 115

oh - and i did decarb per many informative posts. Thank you - been outboard boating OMC all my life - never heard of decarb before this forum

seamoors

James R

Commander

There is only one way to clean carbs. Take them off!! Clean with the carb cleaner available from the manufacturers of Gunk Products. This is a 1Gallon can with a cage. This solution will remove Shelac build up. Follow the instructions. Carb cleaner,the spray stuff, is only for cleaning the outside and can destroy any plastics and gaskets and will not remove shelac, the deposit from gas. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner that can also do the job.
When you have done the job correctly use Stabil in your gas religiously to help minimize future cleaning.
Remember, if a carb on a two stroke motor is not performing correctly you are risking a piston/cylinder failure because of the lack of lubrication.
Now you know.

sharkboy

Cadet

Hello, I have a related qestion:

Just took delivery of a '94 Grady White 192 with 150 Evinrude. Only 153 hours and seemed to run fine during my sea trial. However this weekend right off the bat the engine was hesitating and running rough, like water is in the gas. I put in some fuel conditioner and 20 gal of fresh gas in which didn't help, and there is a water separating filter installed (but I don't know how old it is). My assumption is that the boat has done more sitting than running over the past 10 years and the carbs are gummed up. Told the marina to change the filter and clean the carbs. Some questions:

1. Anything else I should check?
2. I remember cleaning carbs can be pretty expensive, like $100 per carb. At six carbs = $600. Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance

mthieme

Captain

oh - and i did decarb per many informative posts. Thank you - been outboard boating OMC all my life - never heard of decarb before this forum

seamoors

You've never decarbed a motor before?
That's when you trickle ATF down the carb and watch the little black chunks blow out the exhaust.:)

Couldn't resist. Sorry.
I've never heard it before either.