Cleaning an SKS

Kalifornyakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an old SKS that was given to me by my brother. I took it shooting saturday, and was told by one of the guys there that the ammo is corosive, and the gun should be cleaned as soon as I got home. Well, of course, I forgot all about it, and just thought of it this morning, almost a week later. So the question is, what needs to be cleaned, and what solvent do I clean it with? I realize I need to clean the bore, but what other parts?
Thanks in advance!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cleaning an SKS

I'd remove the bolt, clean it and oil it then make sure the chamber is clean as well.

I'm sure there are a ton of cleaning products available now, including aerosols. But you can't go wrong with the old standby Hoppes Solvent. Then any lite oil.

Should be available anywhere there are firearm supplies.

ezbtr

Commander

Yup what he said, I do the same to mine, also my bore is chromed which sure helps stop corosion - I've shot maybe 3-400 rds in the desert heat, sand, etc in a day and not had one jam, these things are TOUGH.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Actually (I have one), I have used PB Blaster, then oil...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Not all the ammo has the corrosive primers.
I have a few cases of non corrosive, date stamped '92 and '93.
Some is lead core, decent.
Some is steel core, ok for plinking and making holes in 3" pipe. :)
Some is plastic core, real light, ballistically inferior past 40 yards, cause by then it starts to tumble, causing it to rip a big hole in whatever it hits. Ouch.

Kalifornyakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everybody,
The ammo I have is as old as the gun, I've shot it about 25 or 30 times and no misfires. I need to zero it though, we were shooting bottles and cans, I couldn't hit nothing! The 22 is the opposite. I couldn't miss anything!

Coors

Captain

Not all the ammo has the corrosive primers.
I have a few cases of non corrosive, date stamped '92 and '93.
Some is lead core, decent.
Some is steel core, ok for plinking and making holes in 3" pipe. :)
Some is plastic core, real light, ballistically inferior past 40 yards, cause by then it starts to tumble, causing it to rip a big hole in whatever it hits. Ouch.

Roscoe, hide the steel-core, as it is considered armor-piercing, and now illegal.
Dumb congressmen...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I know, supposedly they fit the restriction. But....

They don't meet either of the 2 definitions of construction, being that they be made entirely of the specified materials, or that the Jacket comprise more than 25% of the bullet weight.

That is why there are ongoing lawsuits I guess.

Maybe I'll just go out to the range and shoot up the last 130 rounds today, then they will be gone.

From the ATF site:
i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Yeah, I know, supposedly they fit the restriction. But....

They don't meet either of the 2 definitions of construction, being that they be made entirely of the specified materials, or that the Jacket comprise more than 25% of the bullet weight.

That is why there are ongoing lawsuits I guess.

Maybe I'll just go out to the range and shoot up the last 130 rounds today, then they will be gone.

From the ATF site:
i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

The key word in the law is "handgun". This law is meant to stop the use of BODYArmor- piercing rounds, not TANK armor-piercing rounds. I don't believe it applies to rifle or longgun ammunition.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have an old SKS that was given to me by my brother. I took it shooting saturday, and was told by one of the guys there that the ammo is corosive, and the gun should be cleaned as soon as I got home. Well, of course, I forgot all about it, and just thought of it this morning, almost a week later. So the question is, what needs to be cleaned, and what solvent do I clean it with? I realize I need to clean the bore, but what other parts?
Thanks in advance!

Be certain to clean off all your fingerpints....... incase you ever leave it at the scene of a crime! :D

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

The law is concerning handgun ammo only. They were at least smart enough to know that typical body armor won't stop most high velocity rifle bullets at close to mid range.

Wonder how that would affect 30-M1 Carbine ammo, though. Several pistols are chambered for it these days. Not to mention the many single shot pistols that are chambered for rifle cartridges. I think the "designed and intended" clause exempts these. They weren't originally designed or intended for handguns.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

SuperNova,
But 7.62 x 39 steel core is specifically listed by the ATF as banned ammo.

And... there are handguns that shoot 30-30, and 223, among other traditionally used rifle rounds.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Roscoe, hide the steel-core, as it is considered armor-piercing, and now illegal.
Dumb congressmen...

So are my 20 round clips, pistol grip on it, 4 boxes (the big Army cans...we bought ammo by the case back in Illinois..had an FFL), and probably a few other things. If someone made it illegal, it must be good!:D

On the sighting, ya might want to take it to a good 'smith. Mine aint that accurate with a scope (probably illegal too:eek:), and my old Mauser Carbine shoots better at 100 yards with iron sights...got it mail order for $45 too. Gotta watch that sling swivel on the stock though..take yer cheek off!:cool:

ricksrster

Commander

For a while the Chinese SKS was banned but not the Yugoslavian. I don't understand the reason. I use Wolf ammo in mine. Mine is pre-ban so I have the folding stock Pistol grip, 30 and 40 round magazines.

ricksrster

Commander

So are my 20 round clips, pistol grip on it, 4 boxes (the big Army cans...we bought ammo by the case back in Illinois..had an FFL), and probably a few other things. If someone made it illegal, it must be good!:D

On the sighting, ya might want to take it to a good 'smith. Mine aint that accurate with a scope (probably illegal too:eek:), and my old Mauser Carbine shoots better at 100 yards with iron sights...got it mail order for $45 too. Gotta watch that sling swivel on the stock though..take yer cheek off!:cool:
I'm having a time getting my scope zeroed also.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Those cheap little scopes they sell for the sks are terrible, never seem to hold target for long.

Had a friend modify mine, so I can securely mount and use a real scope.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Those cheap little scopes they sell for the sks are terrible, never seem to hold target for long.

Had a friend modify mine, so I can securely mount and use a real scope.

Yep, toss a good scope/mount on it..(and I aint sure about my clips...20 seems too low..whatever..still illegal!)

SuperNova

Lieutenant

You all know the ban on assault weapons and high capacity magazines(clips) ended a couple of years ago, don't ya? You can now buy factory new high-caps at cabela's, wal-mart, k-mart and a myriad other sporting goods stores as well as any local gun show here in Pa. And as far as rifle rounds go, if it was or is chambered in a rifle, rifle rules and laws apply. Here in Pa. you can't buy a handgun or handgun ammo until you are at least 21. But an 18 year old can buy a rifle or rifle ammo. So if you want 44 mag ammo you just tell them it's for a rifle and they sell it to you, even though it's primarily a handgun load. And if you are lucky enough to have gone through your Act 235 training and clearances for armed Security and Bounty hunting licenses then you have the exact same access to items that the police and FBI enjoy privilege to. Which makes the 12-round law enforcement-only clips for my HK usp compact .40 now legal for me to carry. Even if the ban hadn't ended.
--
Stan