clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

My easypoxy went on with NO HITCHES. but...I did it in the Heat of the summer, Got up at Dawn when temps were in the low 80's and then they climbed into the high 90's It would be dry to the touch in 2 hours and I recoated after 6 hours. It too think it's all about temps and humidity but... It does seem strange how it's "Spotty". Seems almost like contamination on the substrate or something. WEIRD!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ezmobee had trouble w ezpoxy too.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is the way I did it before, spray around 11 and let it sit. Last time I had just a cover this time I shot it in a HF canvas garage. Plenty of ventilation but didn't have the sun baking it. Did have heat lamps I turned on to bump up the heat level. Reckon the lamps caused it? They were not shinning directly on the paint put pointed at each other (bow to stern) heating the air not the boat. Oh well what is done is done or not done. lol No need to get upset at this point just more sore fingers sanding around the deck lids. But I am learning and keeps me busy, couple hours everyday after work and I will be ready to try again. Next project on list will be to re gel the livewells and storage areas, and gut the deck lids and install new wood in them. Mans just got to love punishment and the joy when it all finally comes together.

Wood weird i agree. But with paint anything goes when it goes wrong, but when it works it is great.. I have learned that much. I talked to a painter yesterday (Boat shop) and he has seen this before also, no idea what it was but said it may have been the heat lamps. Said it is better to let it kick and then let the sun do the work with a good breeze to help pull the solvents out. So i am thinking the heat lamps trapped in the solvent causing soft center just under the outside edge.

Any way if no one messed up how would we learn, kinda like walking, after 50+ years I still trip and stumble every now and then. Its just a fact of life not a fact of Utopea, where all goes perfect every time.

Stay tuned for part 2 of the top cap saga.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Bump: WOG:
Is a 2.0 tip too big for painting w/ Rusto? That's what's recommended for gelcoat, the paint (unthinned) HAS to be thinner consistency then that, correct? Never shot gel, so I don't have any idea.

And I think MC mentioned using the paint thinned, so doesn't that make it an even more too big a tip?

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jb just going to throw primer with it (rusto or sem). I have a 1.4 tip for finish paint coat. Got the 2.0 so I would not have to thin the primer wad my logic. Which may be flawed a bit.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Many paint makers recommend AGAINST too heavy a coat at any 1 time, SLOWS cure time greatly.

I'd suggest you take a step back & decide what products you want to use, the BEST way to apply them and stay the course once you start.

Do thorough prep & cleaning. Observe temps & humidity recommendations. Shoot ZC/SE on the bare aluminum, then use a primer, shoot a couple lighter coats rather then 1 heavy coat, and be sure that it's compatible w/ the top coats.

Isn't this the 3rd paint job that's had to be removed?

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

3 yes it is. However first was bad paint (verified by engineer at paint company), Second was lack of knowledge by me. Put on to thick when i tried to tip and roll. This time since it was easy primer and I have done it before on the hull it should have worked on top cap. Like I stated I wiped the fiberglass 3 or 4 times to ensure it was clean and mixed it like I did when i sprayed the hull. Should have worked. Again i am by no means an expert at this, just doing the best I can and asking for help trying to get it right.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The 2.0 tip is prolly a bit much for the primer. Like I said, I use a 1.8 when the temps are high. Normally a 1.4 or 1.5mm is good.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay guys another question. How much is to much orange peal on primer. I have first coat reapplied and my gun (1.4 tip)went in its own direction. It looked good laying but now has a ton of orange peal on it. I have bought another gun (1.4 tip). should I sand smooth and then reapply or just rough it up and reapply and maybe it will level out. I am not above 2 or 3 coats of primer.

On a side not I have a pre-op coming and want to have paint done by middle of next month before any surgery. DBS (Deep Brain Stimulant) is what is going to be done. Maybe that will stop my tremors since no meds have helped. I think my shakes have been a large part of my issues with painting. Not being able to hold the gun steady, instead of a 5 inch path, I spray a 5 inch path but it may be a foot off center in either direction. But I am trying.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

The primer is still apart of prep, so if the better the prep, the better the paint will look, I think some (all??) of the orange peel needs to come off.

Any chance you aren't moving the gun fast enough & are laying down too much paint on each pass? Gun needs to be setup up right, but you are a big part of the puzzle of getting good results.

Not a painter so, just a WAG ^^^

A pix of the orange peel will probably be helpful. You may think it's fairly wrinkled & a paint pro may think it's better or worse then you do......

Best of luck w/ the pending DBS, good thoughts your way til you're back working on the boat.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Orange peal picks

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmmm, It appears to me the paint is not atomizing and possibly your fan is not set properly. Can you shoot a spray patter on some paper or cardboard so we can see what it looks like. From about 14" away from a piece of cardboard you should have about a 10-12" vertical football shaped pattern with good coverage. Gun should have a regulator at the handle set to approx. 35-40 psi. Regulator on the gun should be set wide open Paint Volume on the gun should be screwed all the way in then backed out about 1 1/2 to 2 turns. That's usually a good general setup for a HVLP Gravity feed gun. If those pics are with the 2.0mm tip I'd also recommend going to a smaller tip gun or at the very least cut back on the volume, maybe screw it all the way in and then back out only one turn. Also maybe increase the air to better atomize the paint.

Last edited:

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was the 1.4 tip and not to worry about it, it went to the dump and I bought new one. I didn't think it was working right but didn't know what was wrong it did have a nice pattern when I sprayed it on the cardboard. But hey HF what do you expect.

So sand it smooth?

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh well no biggie.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Make sure and dissassemble the HF gun and clean it really well when you first get it. They are notorious for being full of cosmoline and other "AnitRust" gunk from the factory. You gotta clean em first to get em to work right.;)

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

roger that, and use some teflon tape on the threads that stay put also. Cause they leak to. Don't ask how I know.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
well got her primed finially. Now just have a few spots that appear to be thin. Will touch them up and start the finish coats maybe tomorrow afternoon.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
well got her primed finially. Now just have a few spots that appear to be thin. Will touch them up and start the finish coats maybe tomorrow afternoon.