Classic trailer help

TOY BOAT

Seaman
With the purchase of my 1959 Lonestar Newport came a matching Lonestar trailer. Problem is when we went to register it, we needed a police officer to sign off on a paper since it has no vin. Along with that, the great state of New Hampshire wants the GVWR, and original purchase price of the trailer. We can't find any info what so ever. I looked up, and found out it is a Lonestar trailer by the decription given in the 1959 brochure, but beyond that, we are lost.

Here is the best pictures I have of it.
SSPX0315-2.jpg

SSPX0314-2.jpg

I did find some info, and it seems to be called a road queen. But I can not read the specs, and there is no price when new. Or was it included in the boat list price? Which I found to be $839.
http://bigfinboats.com/forums/index.php?/topic/271-lone-star-boats-and-trailers-1959/

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Classic trailer help

What happened to "Live free or Die"?

Original purchase price in 1959 are they high? - The cold has seriously affected those people!

TOY BOAT

Seaman

What happened to "Live free or Die"?

Original purchase price in 1959 are they high? - The cold has seriously affected those people!
It is a tax free state. Only out of staters benefit from this. Every fee for us who live here is through the roof to make up the difference.
Anyways, they base what they will charge me to register on the original sticker price and GVWR of trailers. So yes, the cold has affected them. I hate the cold. Give me 80+ temps anyday.:cool:

bucket of rivets

Seaman Apprentice

In NJ that would be called 'home made'. $18.50 per year.
I'll never understand states that put so much emphasis on old trailers like that.
Its not a high theft item, its not generating revenue sitting in a field or in some garage, so why not just register the thing.
I'm sure any state is better off collecting a registration fee for an Unknown or 'home made' registered trailer than having it growing roots in some field. I've owned many trailers, I've yet to own one from new and I've yet to own one which had any trace of it's original serial number DECAL still intact.
I went round and round over a my first used trailer which came to me with an out of state title, which read "Unkwn" under Manufacturer. NJ apparently don't recognize "Unkwn" as a brand and the NJ system wouldn't accept a serial number which read 613 as a valid VIN number.
After a week of calls and arguing, someone finally decided to just toss the out of state title out the window and call it home made. They gave me a new VIN number and a new title. Problem solved.
I like it even better when they want a notarized bill of sale from the original owner for a boat or trailer bought at an estate sale. For some reason an auction receipt isn't good enough.

By the way, what's the deal with NH boat registration? I've bought several boats now that came with both NH, as well as MA boat numbers on the hull at the same time? One boat had NH on one side, MA on the other side, the other had MA on both sides and NH on the left side only. Don't neighboring states recognize each others registration? I've seen this now on four boats I've bought out of MA and NH.
Also, for some reason, all four boats with NH registration on them had PA titles and registration? All four were recently used boats, within the past two years.

TOY BOAT

Seaman

By the way, what's the deal with NH boat registration? I've bought several boats now that came with both NH, as well as MA boat numbers on the hull at the same time? One boat had NH on one side, MA on the other side, the other had MA on both sides and NH on the left side only. Don't neighboring states recognize each others registration? I've seen this now on four boats I've bought out of MA and NH.
Also, for some reason, all four boats with NH registration on them had PA titles and registration? All four were recently used boats, within the past two years.
This is exactly what I am talking about. This trailer was registered in Ma. Because it did not have a vin, it was registered as a home made trailer, and issued a four digit vin by the Ma state police. But here in NH, they say the vin needs more digits. I said it was about more digits out of my wallet. The emphasis on this old trailer is very funny. The lady at the dmv said "We need the GVWR , and cost of the trailer new in 1959". My wife looked at her puzzled and said. "I just told you there is no info on the trailer, how am I supposed to do that?" Hello, I'm earth. Have we met?:facepalm: Luckily her brain works well, and she found the link I posted.

TOY BOAT

Seaman

So the cop came down, and signed off on the paper the DMV gave us. I then made the up a MSRP of $300 in 1959, and a GVWR of 2000lbs. Problem solved. We now have a vin, and the trailer is registered. Going to wait til I paint the trailer to stick it on. I might even weld the numbers into the the trailer too. So next time there won't be a next time. I call it Jumping through hoops for cash. I jump through hoops, and they get my cash.:p