Chrysler Break in Procedure

bjly92

Cadet
Hey guys, I am about to get my 105 HP engine block back from the machine shop. I have everything all ready to go for reassembly. However the machine shop took forever getting it back to me and it is pretty much the end of the boating season here.

I don't think I can possibly put the engine together and wait until the spring/summer next year to find out if I did everything correctly. I'd like to at least idle it on my driveway and run a compression check.

Does anyone know the correct break in process for these motors? I am only finding generic answers but nothing specifically related to these outboards.

bjly92

Cadet
Actually can someone answer 1 more question for me.

Would it be recommended to do all this in 1 day?

Or can I do the first step (high idle out of gear for 20 minutes) on my driveway, and possibly wait until next summer to finish the 10 hour break in process.

The main reason is it'll kill me to look at my boat every day in the winter and wonder if it runs.

topgun3690

Ensign
You could do it all in one day if you wanted to but 10 hours of actual running is a long time.....probably more realistic to do several hours at a time.
Or can I do the first step (high idle out of gear for 20 minutes) on my driveway, and possibly wait until next summer to finish the 10 hour break in process.
Have never seen anything that says it has to be done in a certain time frame....so if you want to run it at high idle/neutral for 20 mins then finish later should be ok......main thing is to do the full break in before running it normally.

The Force power

Commander
Actually can someone answer 1 more question for me.

I would do these steps on the same day;
(1) -20 minutes at high idle RPM (750 - 850) unloaded or out of gear.
(2) -1500 RPM loaded in gear and vary the speed from idle until you have two hours on the engine.

I'm not a fan of running things on muffs & test 2 needs to be in water /test tank

topgun3690

Ensign
When you go to do the 20 min idle, you may find you have more work to do....won't start, leaks, etc. That 20 min run on the hose is just to make sure the engine is ready to run on the water....like The Force power said, the rest of the running needs to be done in the water and under load.......

Last edited:

bjly92

Cadet
You could do it all in one day if you wanted to but 10 hours of actual running is a long time.....probably more realistic to do several hours at a time.

Have never seen anything that says it has to be done in a certain time frame....so if you want to run it at high idle/neutral for 20 mins then finish later should be ok......main thing is to do the full break in before running it normally.
Perfect thank you, this is probably what I will be doing. Just having the knowledge that everything is ready for the water will help me get through the winter.

bjly92

Cadet
When you go to do the 20 min idle, you may find you have more work to do....won't start, leaks, etc. That 20 min run on the hose is just to make sure the engine is ready to run on the water....like The Force power said, the rest of the running needs to be done in the water and under load.......
Oh yes, I would definitely be shocked if everything ran perfect my first try. But I'll have it in the water next spring to finish the break in process.

topgun3690

Ensign
Living on the Gulf coast, I don't have this problem of having to wait until spring to run my boat...we have other problems, but frozen lakes aint one of them...Lol.