chrysler 35 lower unit

fly237

Recruit
I have a bad seal in the lower part of my lower unit and it leaks. I cannot seem to find the info. I need to get this fixed. Does anyone know how to take off this lower part? All of the drawings I have found show the lower unit as all one pc. Its a model 35741 Chrysler 35. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Maybe this pic would help explain.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: chrysler 35 lower unit

You drop the lower unit. There will be one 9/16 or 1/2 inch nut on top in the front. This holds a long stud which goes down into the pointed gearcase. Next you remove the bearing carrier from behind the prop. Just behind it will be another 9/16 or 1/2 inch nut on the second stud. Now the case can be split. The seal can be purchased at franzmarine@aol.com.

Sometimes these lowers can be a real bear to get apart because the long stud corrodes into the aluminum case. But, your engine looks relatively clean with little corrosion, so, it may not give you a problem. Just be certain to use plenty of anti-seize on the long stud to keep it from sticking in the aluminum.

Re: chrysler 35 lower unit

I have the same lower unit on my 55 hp Chrylser. Here's a link to a thread where I got help on getting the lower unit off. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=329856 The gasket you need is no longer made (told this by some on here and at the marina I found some at). I found a marina in MD that happened to have 2 in stock still. They only have one now (I bought one). The seal kits are available at almost any marine parts place, but the gasket you need isn't included in the seal kit.

Other marinas might have some on hand like the one that Frank posted the link to. If you're interested, the phone # for Fairwinds Marina is 410-974-0758. Thats where I got mine, gasket $10, shipping to MI, $13.
I would get the seal kit for the lower unit as well. If you're gunna have her apart, might as well put new seals in. Some are a bear to do, but when I get done, the peace of mind will be worth it.

BTW, i'm in the NELP. Are you in the same area??