Chrysler 105 questions?

Seaman
Hi, I'm new to this board, and new to outboards. Forgive me if I have too many questions for the first time. I just purchased a 105hp Chrysler unit that has not been run for a couple of years. I believe the year to be either '68 or '69. The serial # is 2082 and the model # is 10575. Can anyone tell me the year? Also, I backed it into the water, and it started up nicely, but did not notice any water coming out with the exhaust, so I removed the temp sensor at the top of the engine, and started it again-no water-removed the cover, and no tstat. I'm sure the impeller is bad, but were is the best place to get parts? I also ordered a shop manual for it. It idled nice, but it may have some light knock to it. Is this normal? Any help is much appreciated. :confused:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Chrysler 105 questions?

Motor is a 1969. Go to www.chrysleroutboard.com and buy a parts manual. Most websites will only show parts from 1974 and newer however a lot of parts from the newer motors will still work on your motor. The chrysler to mercury conversion on the part numbers is usually the first two digets change but the rest stay the same. A 3065 should be the correct impeller for your motor. <br /> Power head blow up <br /><br />Part numbers for the thermostat are from the above link. Parts 81,82 and 83. These part numbers will work at a mercury parts store. You need to have the grommet and the gasket. <br /><br />If you need any more information please post <br />Good Luck

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I learned an expensive lesson last summer. When installing the impeller, put it on from the top of the drive shaft-not from the bottom.

Seaman

scotiany, what was the difference when you put it on from the bottom? Eurolarva, thanks so much. Any thoughts about the knocking noise? should I be concerned untill I can get it into the water and put some power behind it? I don't want to through a rod or anything. It did put some oily residue out the exhaust.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Oily residue is common on chryslers. They are not very clean burning motors. Late 60s motors have condensed fuel draining into the kingpin and into the lake. They werent too worried about pollution back then.<br /><br />The knocking is hard to tell without hearing it. Does it do this in forward, neutral and reverse? Can you locate if the noise is coming from the lower unit or towards the powerhead?

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It tore up the bottom of the impeller.

Seaman

Noise seems to be with higher throttle. May even had a slight miss at about the same time...hard to tell I couldn't run it long when I saw water was not pumping. I thought it was coming from power head possibly.

Seaman

Urolarva, did you mean 3056 instead of 3065 impeller part #?

Seaman

Thanks for the link. I pulled the pump assembly apart and found that the impeller looks good, but looks like someone used the wrong spacer plate. It has a gap in one of the corners near were the supply tube goes to the power head. Also, should there be two gaskets...one on either side of the spacer plate? It all looks fairly new.

Seaman

I talked to the guy in Florida, and he has all the correct parts I need. Looks like the person that replaced the impeller last installed the wrong spacer. I should have everything next week when he finds it all...still digging out from Dennis. One more quick question...there seems to be alot of free play in the driveshaft to the lower unit. It has about 3/4" untill it starts to turn the prop. Is this a normal amount of freeplay? Thank you very much.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

That free play is more likely in your gears or lower unit. There is quite a bit due to the distance of the clutch faces that line up with the gear faces. This is common.

Seaman

Very good, thank you very much. When I recieve my parts, I'll post my results.

fatpat

Recruit

I have a early 80's Chysler 105. It's mounted to a 17 foot Sun Ray. I have the boat for a few years now, restored the majority of it. Motor has been run'n great, wakeboard'n, ski'n, tub'n, you name it. But over the weekend the lower unit started making some noise. While at speed, he motor does not skip, but the boat a bit of hesitation, or skip. Gets more noticable with more weight. Pulled the unit out, fired up with no load in driveay (with water source). Make a grinding noise with going into gear (both forward and reverse). No noise in nuetral. Looking for a shop where I can get the orings, Bevel gears units, and clutch before i go tearing it apart. please help, need to get back in the water.

fatpat

Recruit

Little help here please......lower end parts...best place to go?