Chrysler 100HP tilt ram repair

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys sorry to ask so many questions, but if I don't ask, I don't learn, so you have to put up with me :p.
Ok I have a kit for my tilt ram and trim ram, I have lifted my motor to 1 inch above bottom of keel as I felt the motor was heavier than my 75hp and because of my 20 gallon tank ( Amercan Talk there :p) and batteries, it had a bit of weight towards the end of the boat dragging it down a bit, I have weighted it correct port to star, but it is heavy at the rear or is it stern, any way the motor was coming off the trim ram to the tilt ram to trim the motor properly and I noticed my hydrofoil at least 1 inch below the water. when I tried to trim up on the tilt ram it sucked back down to the trim ram.

Firstly is this correct that it should suck down to the trim ram, do I have a problem with my tilt ram ( no probs lifting the motor when idling or trailering, just when planing). And if I do have a problem with my tilt ram can I take it off without lifting the motor off and chocking the motor so no weight is on the rams? It looks difficult to get to the bottom pipe of the tilt ram, I don't think I need to take off the trim ram as it seems fine, but I do have the kit.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 100HP tilt ram repair

The tilt cylinder is not mechanically or hydraulically advantageous and is meant only to tilt the engine while not running. It also has relief valves in it to let the engine kick up if it hits anything at speed and softly drop back. It will not tilt while running.You can tilt the engine at idle for shallow running but at anything over --say--1200-1500 RPM it will drop down back onto the trim ram. That is the nature of the design.

If the engine drops from tilt while on the trailer, then there is a bad O ring on the cylinder piston itself or a bad O ring inside the pump check valve.

MickLovin

No it just doesn't seem to trim high enough, I am hoping that lifting the motor may give me that extra trim.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The back of the trim cylinder is flat. The flat part should be resting solidly against the transom. If the transom is soft behind the trim cylinder, it will have a tendency to rotate upwards a bit, and you'll loose some of the range of the upward tilt. The only thing that prevents the trim cylinder from rotating is the solid transom.

I've seen several boats where owners have towed their boats with the motor resting on the trim ram in the fully extended position. The weight of the motor rotated the trim ram/cylinder upwards, and actually put a dent in the transom.

Also, the spot on the motor bracket where the trim ram shaft hits to raise the lower unit up usually has a stainless steel plate held in place with two large screws. Make sure the shaft on the trim ram is hitting the plate and the plate itself is not deformed or dented allowing the trim shaft to slip upwards.

MickLovin

Thx pnwboat will check that

MickLovin

hey pnwboat, you were on the money with the trim ram, the bolt going through the motor holding the rams together had loosened and the tilt ram had hit higher up on the motor missing the plate, after tightening the bolt it kept the ram in position and is now hitting the plate, I would have lost a good inch of ram and more of trim, so I am testing it out tomorrow now I have lifted it and fixed the ram. Should run like a pearl now. Next job seal my boat.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Looks like you're getting all the little kinks straightened out. I wish the weather here was warm enough so I could do some "testing"! LOL! :joyous:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7210.jpg101_0015.jpg100_5942.jpg102_6448.jpg000_0049.jpg

Mick: Chrysler and early Force engines had a poor transom clamp design. If you can at all manage it, put a plate of hard aluminum on the outside of the transom. This keeps the clamps from "Biting" into the fiberglass, deforming it and also provides a solid surface for the trim cylinder assembly to rest on. I do this and also reinforce the transoms as a matter of course on all my boats.

MickLovin

Did you have your crystal ball out again Frank! You must have bloody ESP cause I went out yesterday before I had seen this post and grabbed a piece of aluminium plate 1/4 thick for the transom. Also who did your artwork, don't tell me your an artist as well. Least now after putting this thread up, I don't have to do anything with my tilt/trim rams ( thank goodness ) I have found a couple of little problems which I have rectified and learnt so much more about my motor. Can't wait for my next test run, think I can confidently say that I am truly ready to go fishing. Just one thing, with most smaller boats say around 18ft and under, most of the weight is at the back (well mine is ) due to tank and batteries.Should I, and is it feasable to put the batteries to the front of the boat. This would require larger batteries cables as I would be increasing the cable length by appr. 14ft. I have no problems in working out what size cable I would need. But would it just be more laod for the batteries to contend with and would I get much advantage from moving them. My fuel tank is also 20 gallons so there is a lot of weight there when full. This is all probably nothing to concern myself about, as the motor would make the boat plane right anyway, was thinking about it due to how low the back of my boat sits now after going from a 75hp to a 100hp.

Anyway guys thanks again for your help, you have made an old bloke happier than a pig in the mud now he has his sights set on a trouble free run. LOVE THIS CHRYSLER! Such a shale you guys live on the other side of the world, would be great to catch up with Chrysler lovers to learn and share.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

It wouldn't hurt to put the batteries up front. As far as whether or not it's worth it is up to you. I've thought about it too, but I really don't have a convenient spot to put them up front. My hull is a shallow Vee up front so not much room. Maybe some day, but for now, that's pretty low on the priority list.

MickLovin

Ah ok, I have plenty of room under the seats, I was more concerned about the extra current drawn on such a long run.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Shouldn't be a problem. Typical automotive starter draws in the neighborhood of about 200 - 250 AMPs. You could use that as a guide in determining what gauge wire you need for the number of feet. Here's a chart that may give you a general idea. Sorry, didn't have one handy with metric measurements.

Wire gauge.jpg

Just be aware that the opening in the engine cowl where the battery cables are routed may need to be enlarged due to the increased diameter of the cables.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Mick: The 4 cylinder engine simply has another piston, cylinder and crank throw. It only weighs about 30 pounds more than the three cylinder. SO: If you were happy with the 75 you will be happy with the 100. No real need to move the batteries but if you want to--that's your choice.

As far as art, My mermaids were all taken off the internet. I gave a file on disc to an auto wrap printer and they made the decals. In this size, they cost me about 75 bucks for the mirror image decals.

IF you intend to put an angle or plate inside the transom too, 1/4 thick aluminum will be too thick. The clamps will not open far enough to clear. Believe it or not, I use salvaged road signs. They are hard and about .080 thick.

Chrysler must have had a strong presence in Australia because there are a good number of Aussies and Kiwis on the forum. You should think about advertising to start a club down there.

MickLovin

Ok firstly I'd like to say , love your work pnw and Frank, I will take the plate back and find a sign LOL, or would 1/8 be ok? I am also more than happy with my 100hp as it is quieter and starts easier. I loved your mermaids, but I would be going a Shark, cause of how much BITE! my motor has :cool:, and to be honest, after fixing my ram issue and now having it lifted an inch above bottom, I doubt very mush I now need to shift the weight, as I will be able to trim properly now.

Whenever you get the urge to come to OZ visit the New South Wales , Queensland border, you will find me there waiting to go fishing and cruising. hey frank tell your missus they have man boobie ops here LOL, or even silver back firm-ations . Love your work guys.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7220.jpg100_6130.jpg102_0245.jpgSplashwell.jpgsexysassy.jpg

1/8 inch is OK. Just be certain that whatever you use is hard aluminum (sometimes referred to as "Aircraft grade"). Regular sheet is soft and will bend and deform, not providing enough backing.

Be aware that some hard aluminum does have a "grain" If you bend it with the grain to form a 90 degree angle there is a possibility of it cracking. So, if you need to bend a sheet of hard aluminum or a repurposed sign, try to set it up to bend against the grain.

A lot of times I see reinforcement made from diamond plate aluminum sheet. Uninformed people think it is a good choice. Diamond plate (in this thickness) is crap for our purpose because it is soft. Besides, the raised parts interfere with the clamps. Don't use it.

I did mention an angle inside the transom. (Or if you are from New Yawk--A Nangle. LOL). I generally use a piece of 3 X 3 inch 3/16 thick aluminum angle inside the transom with one leg of the angle cut to 2 inches to cap the transom. Then I try to bolt it to the side of the splashwell to further reinforce. This prevents ANY flex of the transom at all and distributes engine thrust loads through the splashwell into the body of the hull. The 3 inch leg also prevents the clamp washers from biting into and deforming the transom fiberglass.

In the first and fourth photos, I got a little radical with the aluminum because I raised the transom 5 inches on those two boats. Second and third photos--I only had 2 X 2 inch angle at the time. And the last photo will be my next mermaid engine cover. GOD! I love those "refrigerator" Chryslers.

As far as the shark----Whatever rows your boat!

Last edited:

MickLovin

Love your new mermaid mate, but it's float your boat not row that's what they did before engines:thumb: