Chrylser 15 hp runs great only for an hour

Playtime01

Cadet
Runs great for an hour and then stalls and lots of trouble keeping it running and eventually it won't start at all. Water pump is working, head is cool. It is getting gas to plugs. Seem to get wet when the trouble starts to happen. Carb is fine. I'm thinking the ignition coils are maybe getting hot and giving a weak spark causing plugs to foul. What do you think? When could I get a set of coils for a 1982 Chrysler 15 hp outboard anyway? Points are set right. Could the condenser cause this problem? Plug was suppose to be a L4J Champion. A marina told me to use a NGK BR6HS but now after reserching it I think I should be using a BR7HS or a L82C Champion. Is this right? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrylser 15 hp runs great only for an hour

Could be either the coils or condensers. That is a typical failure mode for either--fail when hot ,function when cooled.

Try changing the codensers first, they are way cheaper. and yes coils are available. If they are magneto coils, google Standard Magneto Sales. If regular coils mounted on the side of the engine block, try franzmarine@aol.com

Playtime01

Cadet

I took coils and condenser to a electrical repair shop and they tested them and they were fine. I took it for a ride again and it died again after running fine 30 minutes later. What I found this time was. Dry plugs, head getting hot from running lean. Gas not getting to carb. I did hear a sound like a air leak when the motor shut down. I'm not sure where it was coming from. No gas to fuel pump, Had to pump primer bulb. Pulled motor over with disconected output gas line on fuel pump. No steady stream of fuel. Just a couple little spurts came out. Not sure where air leak noise coming from but I plan to bypass the gas conection at the motor. I've always thought it was a poor design of a conection. I'm going to fill gas tank full so when I turn the tank doesn't suck any air. I really don't know how else to check fuel pump. Does the fuel pump work off crankcase pressure? Here is the true info that I know may help someone tell me what is wrong. I have to choke the motor on half choke to keep engine running. Does anyone know where I can get a fuel pump for a 1982 15 hp Chrysler outboard?

force15

Recruit

F681046
Bulb primer
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/parts.html
look into this web site and also replace your
-
F10265
float needle
These two parts are getting destroyed by alcohol in the new gas..mine was a 91.
Once I changed them out now more dying and stalling...starts on one pull too...I can't believe it...this motor is the smoothest thing now. Make sure you set your float hieghts down and up....the plastic one can still be bent a tiny bit if you are carefull. Float should be level with carb upside down and then turn it up right and measure the drop it should not be more than 5/16" from carb body. Also make sure your gas tank is venting correctly and you hoses are not cracked as they should also be replaced if it is old because of the alcohol in the gas with new alcohol friendly hose and stuff. This is wreaking havok all over the country as was predicted. Don't trash your forces guys just get the new rubber needles and primer bulbs. One pull now...

force15

Recruit

of course the thing is that I was thinking this was a Force motor when I gave you the info...I am sure it is the same stuff. especially the alcohol related problems