chriping noise when key is turned

281426m

Cadet
I have a 40hp evinrude. When I try to start it there is a chirping noise device behind the ignition switch that chirps and the engine won't start. What is it trying to tell me?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: chriping noise when key is turned

What's the model #? Will the mtr turn over and not start, or what ?

281426m

Cadet

It,s on a 1992 bass buggy pontoon ser. # G03226689 I was told motor is orginal. Acts like no power. horn & lights work battery good

nwcove

Admiral

so, as boobie asked......does the starter engage and spin the flywheel....or does the starter spin ,but not engage the flywheel, or does the starter do nothing??

281426m

Cadet

no power to starter just checked I have power to cycloid. I have no kill switch is there any thing else besides the ignition switch.... I jumped across cycloid and the starter engages. How do I test the cycloid to see if it's bad??

nwcove

Admiral

should be a fuse block under the cowl. maybe the "cycloid/selenoid " needs attention?

281426m

Cadet

leave it to spell check. I knew it looked wrong. I checked all the fuses close to the ignition switch and one on the motor but could find no more. How do you test the selenoid itself?

daselbee

Commander

"SOLENOID".....but I kinda like cycloid. Gonna start using it......

Test solenoid by using a jumper wire. Put one side of the jumper on the positive battery post of the solenoid (large side post that has a battery cable running back to the pos. battery post), and put the other side of the wire on the yellow/red stripe wire on one of the two small terminals of the solenoid. Careful! The two small terminals....one is to ground, and the other will engage the solenoid. Do not touch the wire end to the ground terminal.

The engine starter will spin and engage if the solenoid is good.

281426m

Cadet

solenoid is good. there is a beeper attached behind the ignition. Is there any kind of lock out other than the neutral switch. the beeper gives one short beep when i turn on the key. does the oil container have a lockout? i wired the neutral switch on the shifter together.

nwcove

Admiral

normally the one short beep is to let you know the "beeper" is working. try undoing your wiring mods?

sunbird1990

Cadet

I was reading your thread and I ran into a weird problem today. That beeper turned on and stayed on. Very loud and annoying. only way to shut it off was to turn off ignition. And my engine started to run really rough when the beeper thing came on. Any ideas?

281426m

Cadet

replaced ignition switch everything works great, thanks for your help!