Chopping my window. Chop,chop

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I never liked my windsheild. Today I removed the glass and cut the frame to 10 inches. How do I cut the glass or should I just use plexiglass,that stuff from the big box hardware places?

Attachments

• photo220114.jpg
    photo220114.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No Title

Attachments

• photo220978.jpg
    photo220978.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220979.jpg
    photo220979.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't think tempered glass can be cut. I could be wrong, but a glass shop knows. I would go with lexan instead of plexi. It's more durable and scratch resistant.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks, I'll do a search and find out more about this lexan. Thanks again buddy.

extreme01

Seaman Apprentice
Tempered glass can not be cut. Plexi Glass would not be a good idea, it yellows with age and is not really a safety glass. If that windshield is flat (no curves) a good glass shop could make or have made new tempered glass in a week or two. Just take your your frame to them and they should be able to measure it and install the glass in the frame for you. I have done this in the shop I work in and it is not very expensive.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Tempered glass can not be cut. Plexi Glass would not be a good idea, it yellows with age and is not really a safety glass. If that windshield is flat (no curves) a good glass shop could make or have made new tempered glass in a week or two. Just take your your frame to them and they should be able to measure it and install the glass in the frame for you. I have done this in the shop I work in and it is not very expensive.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just going to make cardboard templates and cut some lexan.

extreme01

Seaman Apprentice
Lexan is a good product we use it for windshields on bikes and quads, but it scratches real easily and is really flexible make sure you use 1/4" thickness or thicker

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes Lexan and general plexiglass both will scratch easily. But that also means you can polish them out easily as well. If, or when, the time comes you want to remove the scratches, use some polishing compound found at most any store these days and either by hand or a polisher and it will look new again. Of course deep gouges will not buff out, but those usual daily scratches will perfectly... :thumb:

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Can lexan be tinted?
I went to Lowes and they do sell sheets of it but none are a smoke look or darkened.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Can lexan be tinted?
I went to Lowes and they do sell sheets of it but none are a smoke look or darkened.

I have never seen any tinted but you could apply a window tint like they do on vehicle windows. Or even a spray on tint. But they could offer it in tint, just do a research and see...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
They Make tinted Scatch Resistant/UV resistant polycarbonate 1/4" but...It's about $400 bucks delivered for a 24" x 96" sheet!!!!:eek::faint2:

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Plexiglass (acrylic) has 4 times the break strength of non-tempered glass but scratches easier than glass. (not terribly bad)
lexan has 150 times the breaking strength of glass, but scratches very easily. Also lexan is hygroscopic. It absorbs water and swells and gets cloudy.

Lexan is the wrong material for the job. Use acrylic. I have 25 years experience in the plastic industry.

Bot materials are available tinted light gray, dark gray and dark bronze. You can also get opaque black.

Acrylic can be polished but it is a bit of work. Lexan can not be returned to optical clarity by means of polishing. You can improve it but it takes a lot of skill. If my lexan were scratched bad enough that I wanted to improve it. I would replace it.

If you tell me where you're located, I can give you some names of industrial distributors who will have sheets in stock for probably much less than the big box stores.

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I agree with muskyfins. When I researched replacing portions of my windshield (center flip and side angles), poly was the best choice. It's held up very well for me. You don't want a soft Lexan surface that's scratched. - Grandad

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No Title

Here's a pic. I went with arclic. I'm very pleased with the results. I still need to smooth the edges with some sand paper and tint. Couldn't find any smoked stuff here in town.

Attachments

• photo221292.jpg
    photo221292.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hit the yellow pages. Most cities have a plastic supply company. Place near my work will even form panels for a small fee