Choice of Humminbirds...........advice?

Fish'n Lewi

Seaman Apprentice
All-

I am going back and forth between the 597 ci HD DI Combo and the 858c HD DI Combo. I love to fish but am not a pro by ANY menas. The i-Pilot and the networking are not a necessary feature that I need in the 858c. The 597 does have all the features that I am looking for (gps & DI).

What other than the i-pilot, the networking features, and a 2" larger wide screen should make me really consider the cost of the 858c? This unit will be on the bow of the boat.

Thanks!
Lewi

Last edited:

natedogg3991

Cadet
Re: Choice of Humminbirds...........advice?

I just recently purchased the 597ci HD DI and I really like it. There are a lot of features more than I have had a chance to use. There is a common theme though and I could not disagree that if you can afford the extra money the bigger screen is nice. I ended up going with the smaller because of budget and at some point plan to move it to the bow and get a bigger one for my console to replace it. One item to consider when putting it on your bow if you are planning to use the built in transducer with the Minnkota it will not support the DI feature. I like the DI for structure and bottom imaging not sure if a bigger screen with DI will allow you to see fish on it or not but with the 597 you cannot.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Lewi,
I don't belive in wasting money! You are going to use this device for many years. A bigger screen is a big plus. Take the difference in price and divide it by 5 and the added cost is minimal. Always get the better technology it will be obsolete the day after tomarow.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Always get the better technology it will be obsolete the day after tomorrow.
Tomorrow is already here for conventional sonar and DI. CHIRP is next generation sonar and Garmin has released the first affordable CHIRP sounder on the market in the form of the GPSMAP 547xs. Has NMEA 2000, wireless and Bluetooth connectivity. Better sonar. Better GPS. Just a better overall unit

Fish'n Lewi

Seaman Apprentice

Well here is what I ended up going with......I am putting the 597ci HD DI on the bow and am adding a 597ci HD at the console. Should give me everything that I really need.

Thanks for the replys

Lewi