chocolate milk for oil Merc 120

trm

Seaman
Warmed the engine to thin the oil and it started fine and purred as usual.

For the first time ever, the oil I took out of the 1968 Mercruiser 120 looked like chocolate milk. And I took out just over 5 quarts of it. Having read many posts about milky oil in the archives, I am aware I have a potentially spendy problem. I can afford a head gasket Or maybe even an exhaust manifold, but I don't undersand the oil/water connection there. Beyond that, I probably will cease repairing this unit.

Headgasket should be checked by compression check they say. That would only determine that the seal around the cylinder bore has or has not failed, but says nothing about oil passage/water passage seals in the head gasket. Please advise if my reasoning is faulty.

Some say to pressure check the coolant system....in a raw water system? Is that possible?

Some say to use an air compessor to pressurize the system and listen for the leak. How would I do that on a 120?

If there's a crack in the block, I can't afford to replace it. Maybe I should entertain the JB Weld and get a couple more months out of this rig? All input is appreciated. Swabbie

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: chocolate milk for oil Merc 120

Warmed the engine to thin the oil and it started fine and purred as usual.

For the first time ever, the oil I took out of the 1968 Mercruiser 120 looked like chocolate milk. And I took out just over 5 quarts of it. Having read many posts about milky oil in the archives, I am aware I have a potentially spendy problem. I can afford a head gasket Or maybe even an exhaust manifold, but I don't undersand the oil/water connection there. Beyond that, I probably will cease repairing this unit.

Headgasket should be checked by compression check they say. That would only determine that the seal around the cylinder bore has or has not failed, but says nothing about oil passage/water passage seals in the head gasket. Please advise if my reasoning is faulty.

Some say to pressure check the coolant system....in a raw water system? Is that possible?

Some say to use an air compessor to pressurize the system and listen for the leak. How would I do that on a 120?

If there's a crack in the block, I can't afford to replace it. Maybe I should entertain the JB Weld and get a couple more months out of this rig? All input is appreciated. Swabbie

Yes, your reasoning is faulty. Frequently, blown head gaskets will result in water getting into the oil. This happens all the time when things go wrong. The easiest and cheapest thing is to run a compression check. If you've got one or more cylinders low, you've probably got a bad head gasket.