Chevy fuel line

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
350 chevy w/quadrajet<br /><br />Could anyone come up with a sierra or napa number for a steel pre-bent Pump To Carbureter Fuel Line?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Chevy fuel line

Probably way too many styles to choose from. GM liked to change those bends at the drop of a hat.<br /><br />Have you looked at any in a junkyard?<br /><br />Wont USCG rubber fuel hose work?<br /><br />Ken

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, Nope...Can't do. It has to be a metal line from the fuel pump to the carb. No rubber allowed. Even if it is the USCG approved hose. Doesn't matter. Gotta be the metal line. If you are having that hard of a time, why not pick up some bulk metal line from marine supply and make your own? All you would need is a flaring tool and a tube bender or tube bending springs. You could pick up the tools at Home Depot. Just take a stiff piece of copper wire and "mock up" the dimensions of the tube. Than bend the tubing to match the wire. Follow up by properly flaring or double flaring (depending on your application) the ends of the tubing and you will be all set. Just DON'T use copper tubing to make this piece! If all of this sounds like too much, maybe Bondo will jump in with the proper part number. He always is able to find those tough part numbers for the gang! ;) Good luck!

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey yep<br /><br />they are available.. i get mine from Jerry's marine supplies, don't have my books at home so i can't give you a number.. look for a Crusader application...<br /><br />but honestly, a 30" 5/16's brake line from your local auto store is just about the perfect length. you wont have to cut and flare it, just bend it..

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

fireship, cfr title 33 fails to make this point. in fact sec.183.558 says in part "(a) Each hose used between the fuel pump and the carburetor must be <br />USCG Type A1'' hose."<br /> there are brand new marine engines being sold with rubber line from pump to carb. please cite the rule that says it must be metal.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello! I read through the rules myself and you seem to be correct Akriverrat. They tell you how they wish the lines to be attached, recommended sizes of line...etc. But nothing on what type of material to use specifically. They just say "type A1 hose." I was always told that the line HAS to be metal. Dealers have told me, mechanics, even guys in the USCG aux. that I pal around with. But from what you present here it's not legally the case. I personally would not run rubber hose in that area of the engine. It would be prone to heat, cracking, chafe, and hot parts. I would rather have the protection of metal in those kind of places. Maybe the Mercruiser folks felt the same way. They used that setup on my engine. I feel if they wanted to make it easy at assembly they would have used the hose instead. But you do bring up an interesting point. If it indeed is not a requirement, it must be a matter of personal choice. I choose metal! :D ;)

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Huh, i could swear metal line was a rule! I have always been told this, huh. The reason for metal is the line is pressurized after the pump.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

further reading of title 33 does give the criteria that the different rated hoses must meet. sec 183.590 says it must survive 2.5 minutes no more than 10" above the surface of a burning pan of heptane. it,s amazing that the pump and carb body will survive this. in my case i would choose hose over metal because i have a resiliant mounted electric fuel pump. metal would be more prone to fatigue crack in this instance. abyc may stipulate metal fuel line but i am not going to pay to access that part of their site.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I choose rubber because I believe it is less prone to vapor lock. Better insulating than the steel.<br /><br />If you mount it properly, there should be no chance for chafing or burning on any hot parts. If it runs close to hot parts, I put an extra sleeve of heater hose on it to keep it protected.<br /><br />Ken

clanton

Rear Admiral

I just looked at 2000 Mercrusier 350 GM engine with TBI, has a rubber fuel line with crimped on ends from electric fuel pump to TB. Hose runs under engine from front to rear, up by the dist then to the TBI. Hose cost app 150.00 from Merc, has 56 lbs fuel pressure. Hose is an approved hose.