Chevy 454 low power, now no start (new engine to me) diagnostic help please!

TorchedGT

Seaman
So I'll try to keep it short and sweet - I just picked up a restored 24' Donzi Black Widow "as is" with a 454 that doesn't run.

It had been winterized, and the engine is obviously not original (Donzi replaced the OE Ford 460 with the 454 in 93 as a recall on all these.. boat is a 1990). It's got aftermarket parts, Holley 800, Edelbrock Torker II manifold, SMI headers, MSD Blaster ignition, etc.

His story was that he took it out, boat wouldn't plane, low power... etc. Ran a compression check and had no compression on a rear cylinder.

I bought the boat factoring in 5k for a new motor or rebuild so I'm not concerned about it, I'm just trying to diagnose what's actually wrong.

I ran a compression check on one side so far (fr. to rear - 136, 130, 131, 100) - was going to check the other rear cylinder but the header drain is blocking the plug (stupid design) so I realize I'm giving you limited info, but I'll update ASAP.

The motor cranks over fine and has no seemingly unusual noise. Before I pulled the plugs, you could hear it hitting that cylinder because the starter RPM would increase for a split second - i don't think the 100psi cyl is the problem, it's probably the opposite rear cylinder which is in fact zero.

First things first, at 136psi this would be considered a high compression motor, correct? It's not cranking very quick even with two fully charged Optimas before I pulled the plugs. This leads me to the "no start" problem - I was going to start it up and see (since he ran it before apparently, what's done is done now..) but it failed to fire even one cylinder.. nothing. I could hear the carb squirting, but he flat-out told me the gas is over a year old (however, with stabil in it) but it could be much older - no promises on this guy's integrity so far! The oil looks to be brand new.. so maybe his story is true. Anyways, a motor at this compression probably won't start with anything but good gas, right?

....how the hell do I get rid of 30gal of bad gas..? (it's a little over half full)

At this point I'm thinking head gasket or rocker adjustment, bent pushrod, etc.. since there's no noise that I can detect, I'm leaning away from a bottom end problem hopefully. If it's that simple, I might as well fix this engine since it's apparently been modified already.

Is there any way to tell if it's been through a machine shop / bored out? Hopefully the heads have some info on them - next step is to rip off the valve covers and check the rockers, then off with the... heads. :redface:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chevy 454 low power, now no start (new engine to me) diagnostic help please!

compression is usually done with good batteries and all the plugs removed and the throttle plate wide open
record readings add a bit of oil into the cyl and retest,
higher would indicate a ring issue.no change, a valve issue
a leakdown test to confirm witch
then we can suggest what to start removing.

TorchedGT

Seaman
Re: Chevy 454 low power, now no start (new engine to me) diagnostic help please!

compression is usually done with good batteries and all the plugs removed and the throttle plate wide open
record readings add a bit of oil into the cyl and retest,
higher would indicate a ring issue.no change, a valve issue
a leakdown test to confirm witch
then we can suggest what to start removing.

Okay thanks, I can't wait for the weekend - I ran out of sunlight today and it looks like both manifolds are coming off.

I was letting my v twin experience interfere with my judgement a bit, as it sounds like 130 psi is actually not a very high number..

Bondo

Staff member

I was letting my v twin experience interfere with my judgement a bit, as it sounds like 130 psi is actually not a very high number..

Ayuh,.... 100psi to 130 psi is a rebuildable core motor,... Worn out....

150psi is good numbers... 180psi is high compression...

Yank yer's out, 'n haul it to a Machine Shop...
They'll tell ya what you've got to work with, after the tear-down....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if you have to pull the motor and rebuild, stroker cranks are cheap. you can turn it into a 496 easy.

TorchedGT

Seaman

Thanks guys.. sounds like it's time to put some money together!

A friend has a newly rebuilt 468 w/ polished tubular headers, marine 700 cfm carb, (all blue powdercoat block/heads) and says he will do it for $5k installed (in two days) keeping my old motor though. Tuned for 500hp on the dyno.. hmm.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

assuming your 454 block and heads are not junk, you can have them rebuilt with a stroker crank and buy the marine headers yourself for less than $5k.

I would question the 700 cfm carb. I have a 715 on my smallblock 350

My recommendation is to pull the motor out that you have, pull it apart, inspect it, then make your decisions.

TorchedGT

Seaman

Hmm okay well a quick update, might warrant a new thread to decide which route to go from here.

The opposite rear cylinder had zero compression - front on that side also had 50. Pulled the valve covers and a rocker was sideways with a pushrod just hanging out, plenty of mixed water with the oil, everything under the valve cover was white oil. - so I pulled the heads. The valve was bent sure enough (as was the pushrod) but luckily only a slight cosmetic score on piston. Heads looked stock cast iron, but the pistons cleaned up nicely, no carbon was stuck on there(?!)

Two cylinders had white flakey corrosion type stuff on the pistons, like they weren't firing? All the valves were rusty. At this point I think the boat just sat and when they finally started it, that valve stuck from rust and it went downhill from there. The oil in the block is pristine and so is the coolant that poured out from winterizing (I cranked it for a while after all the compression tests and stuff).

My question is what to do about the heads. These are gross (coroded, rusty, half cloged cooling passages, etc) and will need lots of cleaning and new valves, but should I just run a performance head like the edelbrock Performance RPM w/ the marine anodized finish? already has edelbrock torker II intake manifold and holley 800CFM double pumper. How much would that head help me over the stock cast set? I'm not sure on the generation of the block. Donzi replaced the Ford 460 as a recall I'm 1993 and used the 454.. has the large square ports.

.....and should I even do this? I'm nervous about the bottom end if I run a tight new head setup on this thing.

Also, what else could cause water up there? When I pulled the valve covers there was condensation on the rockers... like I said, I think this thing has just been sitting forever. The head gaskets looked surprisingly clean and weren't even stuck on at all.

Do I need to know what cam is I'm there to make an accurate head choice? The