Chevy 4.3 with OMC overheating!

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1991 4.3 Chevy with a OMC outdrive. It is overheating after running on the lake for just a few minutes. Just changed the thermostat. It is only overheating on one side. I'm no marine mechanic but I'm thinking something is blocked. Any help greatly appreciated.<br />Thanks.

Re: Chevy 4.3 with OMC overheating!

Is there a flush port attachment for a garden hose? If there is, attach the hose and notice with the water on if there is flow on the side that heated up. If it is not try to pinch off the other side to force the flow to the plugged side. Good luck

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Chevy 4.3 with OMC overheating!

Just figured I'd post a follow up! I took the manifold and riser off on the port side and the water jackets were extremely blocked with corrosion in both of them. I contacted the local radiator shop and he put them through an acid flush or something and it cleaned them right out (actually it took 3 days). The new parts sell at retail for about $500.00, the radiator shop cleared them for $40.00 for each piece. After $8.00 for 2 gaskets I put it back together. The motor is again running great. Overall a very nice $88.00 repair job.