Checkmate Sportfire Restoration

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, I "officially" started my Checkmate restoration/resurrection today...

I had some spare time, while babysitting some industrial machines at my business.
I decided to start from the "ground up". Got the one of the trailer wheels, and decided to clean it up with some Gem Rust Killer(basically Phosphoric Acid)...

Nothing too exciting, but amazing what a little of that will do to the rust on chrome!

2011-12-08_before.jpg 2011-12-08_22-10-22_27.jpg

I'll report back about getting the Merc. 470 started/checked for compression, etc... I winterized it before it got real cold, so I'll wait till it gets above 30. Maybe next week.

Hopefully I can find a couple of hours next week to get to it...

More pics. of the boat, etc... hopefully tomorrow.

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Checkmate Sportfire Restoration

Has anyone had to deal with paint that's flaking off, and best way to remove?

Apparently, previous owner had painted over the metal flake (factory paint) and it's started to peel in certain places...
I am very familiar with car paints, etc... for on metal. But, have never dealt with removing paint off of fiberglass.

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, I'm trying to figure out what the PO did to this boat. He stopped answering the phone after I picked up the boat...LOL...

Do you (Bond-o, stony, others with words of wisdom, etc...) know if the Mercruiser 140 outdrive would have come with the 170-190 hp 470 motor? I'm looking at possibly just getting an Alpha or Bravo outdrive.

I'm a little nervous getting this thing all put together (new seals, boots, etc... for the current outdrive) only to find out I'll be grinding the gears away, etc...

Merry Christmas to all...

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Done....

Thanks for noticing.

Bondo

Staff member

Has anyone had to deal with paint that's flaking off, and best way to remove?

Apparently, previous owner had painted over the metal flake (factory paint) and it's started to peel in certain places...
I am very familiar with car paints, etc... for on metal. But, have never dealt with removing paint off of fiberglass

Ayuh,.... Paintin' boats is pretty much exactly like paintin' cars...
Think Corvette...
The metal flake is probably gelcoat, 'n you never get it to look right again,...
So,... Paintin' it is the Best option...

I use Martin Seynor paints from my local Napa....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Paintin's easy, it's the prep work that's Hard!!!!;)

Bond-o is correct about the Flake Gelcoat. Sandit down with 80grit, then 150, then finish with 220. Fill all imperfections, wipedown with Acetone, Prime it and Paint it with the paint of your choice. Lot's of options. I used Valspar Tractor Paint with a Hardener additve and also use Pettit EasyPoxy. Both work well.

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bond-o,

Ok, will do... I'll probably blast it/prime it/and base coat it. I am used to BASF or Limco products, so I'll go with them.

You're not kidding about the prep work...It seems that that's all you do in refinishing cars, equipment, etc...
That's when you make sure you know how to shoot some paint, otherwise more of the above...

Might be slow progress, but I'll keep you posted...

Bondo

Staff member

Bond-o,

Ok, will do... I'll probably blast it/prime it/and base coat it. I am used to BASF or Limco products, so I'll go with them.

You're not kidding about the prep work...It seems that that's all you do in refinishing cars, equipment, etc...
That's when you make sure you know how to shoot some paint, otherwise more of the above...

Might be slow progress, but I'll keep you posted...

Ayuh,.... Blast it with a D/A Sander,....

Not a sand blaster....

You only wanta Smooth, Solid surface....
Ya ain't gonna grind it through to the glass...

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.... Blast it with a D/A Sander,....

Not a sand blaster....

You only wanta Smooth, Solid surface....
Ya ain't gonna grind it through to the glass...

I copy that... I guess there's going to be a lot of DA time on this thing.
Whoever painted the hull, previous to me, didn't use adhesion promoter/primer, etc... The paint is flaking off pretty bad in some areas.

I just hope I can get most of the crap-job paint off before I start priming, etc...

Fun times...

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, it's been a while. But here are some pics. of the project. Been busy working and boating in my other boats.

Having made the boat sea-worthy, all mechanical items working(except for the trim gauge), I am now starting on the interior. First the bench seat and front seats.
Then carpet and other misc. interior. After that, sanding the hideous current cheap car paint/clear.

Here's the start of the bench seat.

And the boat:

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Couple more:

The motor is all up to snuff. Over the winter I might pull it to go through some gaskets. Got a noticeable exhaust leak somewhere. Also, maybe re-paint. While the motor is out, I'll be painting the engine bay and stern areas from the inside...

That's the goal. I have another boat I'm working on, so we will see how it goes.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Awesome boat…..Very similar to my boat….you can check out my restoration thread…(81 checkmate restoration)

Good luck and keep us posted….Not many Checkmates on this site!

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks fellas... It will be a journey. As you all are probably familiar with.

I have another larger boat, but I have always loved the Sportfire hull and beam width.
Can't find anything quite like it today!

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great looking boat!

Looked at your Chris-Craft... Love that boat. I have an older 1966 23 ft Lancer. Still working on it. Previous owner restored most of it. Finishing up the left over interior work on it(including wiring...uuuhhhh). Should hit the water with it early next year...

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome boat…..Very similar to my boat….you can check out my restoration thread…(81 checkmate restoration)

Thanks for posting on here...love your project. Great job! Kind of funny, that's the color scheme I'm going with. Except, I'm going to have white on the topside with the side being yellow with black accents...

I'll have to go back and review your work in greater detail when I start getting into the flooring, etc...

Thanks, again!

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just noticed, your color scheme when you got your boat was similar/same to mine! How weird!!!

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, a little update...

Tore out part of the nasty carpet. Since this is a boat I still use, I'm going to paint the fiberglass, for now. This winter I'll get into the floor repair. I'll see if I'm going to redo the entire floor, or only the helm area. My guess, the entire floor. Since it is quite a small "deck" area.

Starboard

PORT

If you are not familiar with these boats, the hull is a balsa-core design. Meaning fiberglass-balsacore-fiberglass. So, I've really got to look at the hull if there was any water intrusion. Since the previous owner drilled a hole or two in the bottom(don't know why) and sealed it with marine sealant(5200, etc...).

The interior sides I'm going to tear out the rest of the current carpet and either gel-coat it, or paint it. The deck I'll either put carpet or Nautolex.

That's all for now...

chriscraft254

Commander

I hate to say, but I think you will find that you are going to have a full resto when you get into that floor. The good news is it should be pretty easy to do on that size rig. I would check it out for sure, if you rebuild you will know exactly what you have and know it is built right. Good luck man.