Check your CDI stators before install

HydroGeek

Cadet
Posting in the hope that this helps someone avoid a problem that I had.

I purchased a new CDI stator recently for my 85HP force. When I received the new stator, I noticed that the glue which is used to overcoat the windings was extending in a blob outside the circumference of the stator poles. This would have caused an interference fit with the ring magnet in my flywheel. I sent it back to CDI, and they reworked it and sent it back to me.

I assembled the stator and flywheel. Plugs were out, so I manually went to rotate the flywheel, and found that it barely moved. I disassembled, and still found that the stator was in interference with the flywheel. When the stator was dipped in the insulating varnish, it pooled as it dried and formed a ridge on the stator poles. Not a lot, but enough that it interfered with the magnet, and even cut a shallow groove in the magnet.

I wrote CDI back, and after not hearing for almost a week, I decided to fix it on my own. I ended up taking a dremel with a soft wire wheel and polishing the varnish off the ends of the poles to make it fit. CDI eventually wrote back to tell me to send the stator back in. At that point I had repaired the stator and had it mounted up.

Just FYI... that clearance between the stator and the magnet is probably on the order of 0.010" and it does not take much to bridge that gap. Make sure your new stator (CDI or any brand for that matter) is clean.