check thermostat?

conron

Seaman
should I even check the thermostat or just dive right in and change the impeller?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: check thermostat?

Howdy,

Well, I'll have to assume that you have an overheating problem....

Depending on what you're working on, you should always test the t-stat.

You should also check the supply line from the raw water pump to the oil and PS coolers since pieces of previously failed impellers can frequently be found there. This can restrict and sometimes block cooling water flow enough to cause an overheat.

Also, since cooling water MUST exit through exhaust manifolds and risers, if they are blocked with rust, they can also block water flow and cause overheating.

Just some things to check.

Rick

conron

Seaman

yeah I asked the question earlier about overheating and all post said "impeller...surely its the impeller" so this is where I am ready to change the impeller. If I can figure out how to check the things mentioned I will, it all seems easier than changing the impeller

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well,

The impeller does move the water from the lake to the engine.

BUT, anything that impedes that flow can be as bad or worse than failed impeller.

You should do it all if you have an overheating problem and you're not sure where the problem actually is.

Changing the impeller is really a preventive maintenance process. If you never wait until it fails, you'll probably never have to go searching for pieces of it!

If you just bought the boat, you never know if the previous owner allowed 1 or more failures to occur that resulted in partial or complete impeller failure/disintegration.

If you didn't personally change the impeller the last time it was changed.....you should have a look. (and look for cooling system blockage too)

conron

Seaman

Ok Thanks..First boat and just bought it so of course never worked on one so this should be fun

Bondo

Staff member

it all seems easier than changing the impeller

Ayuh,... Alotta things are Easier,.... It don't Fix the problem though....

That's why there's truckloads of perfectly Good igntion Coils goin' to landfills...
It's Easier to change the coil, than Fix the problem...

Speakrdude

Ensign

I am assuming you are trailering?

Instead of muffs, try this. The pressure from your water hose can fool you.

I used the green plastic recycle bin with a trash bag as a liner. Place the bin, level, under the lower unit in its lowered position. (keep in mind all the usual precautions, prop, kids, pets, etc)

Fill the container up with fresh water and let the garden hose continually feed it.

Start the engine up and confirm water is flowing from the transom, at idle, water temp gauge, etc. (Keep in Nuetral!)
If not, next step: Remove the hose from the next water item in the line. On my 3.0lx, its the thermostat housing. Water there? Keep going and you find it. (Keep an eye on the temp!)

This should tell you if the impeller is pumping or if there's blockage, where it is.

Hope this helps.