Charging System?

Bomber13

Cadet
I have a 85-86 Mercury 60hp outboard.First, I posted a request awhile back concerning intermitent spark. Although I did not receive any responses to my post, I was able (Through reading all of the other post) to trace the problem to a bad switch box thanks to all of the people that help out. I appreciate all of the guys that try to help others.<br />Now, on to my question. There is no alternator on my motor but has a stator. Does the 85-86 Mercury 60 hp have a charging system? I have not seen a voltage regulator as you see on a car. If it does, Could this also be used to charge the battery for my trolling motor.<br />Thanks for any information!! :confused: :)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Charging System?

It has a low amperage charging system. The alternator is built into the stator under the flywheel which makes AC current. From there it goes to a small black square rectifier to convert the AC to DC. From there it goes to the battery. There are devices called Isolators that you can install to split some of that charging current to a second battery. If you run your main motor for long periods without running your trolling motor, it might be worth it. If you use your trolling motor alot, it won't keep up. Also, since the charging system current is divided between multiple batteries, less goes to the starting battery than would if it weren't split.

Bomber13

Cadet

WillyB:<br />Thanks for your reply. From what you said, I am not going to bother with it as I would rather keep the cranking battery charged & I would not gain anyhting for the trolling motor battery as I use it A LOt more than the outboard.<br />Thank Again<br />Bomber13

Bomber13

Cadet

WillyB:<br />Thanks for your reply. From what you said, I am not going to bother with it as I would rather keep the cranking battery charged & I would not gain anyhting for the trolling motor battery as I use it A LOt more than the outboard.<br />Thank Again<br />Bomber13 ;) :)