Charging main Battery

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, dumb question here but............... I have a Black & Decker charger (about $30) that I want to use to ensure that my battery is charged after the winter layup. The instructions for the charger say to remove the battery from the boat before charging. Can I leave the battery in my boat and connected (disengage the battery switch) while topping it off? It would be much easier and there are numerous onboard chargers out there so battery removal should not be a requirement in my mind.

My mind has been known to be a bit off so I would apperciate some guidance...................... By the way, this is the starting battery.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Charging main Battery

99% of all portable chargers say that. it is a CYA statement. the reason, is a spark could set off any kind of lingering fumes in the boat. the area has to be well ventilated. i charge mine in the boat all the time.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The reason they say this is because any movement of the battery clips from the charger could cause a spark and they don't know if the person that is using the charger is smart enough to make sure the compartment that the battery is in is ventilated enough to remove hydrogen that is released from the battery during charging as well as gasoline vapors.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Most of these chargers also tell you to attach the leads to the battery before plugging into AC to verify polarity and to reduce the potential of a spark.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. In the boat it shall charge...............