Chaparral SSi 275

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone own this boat? Looking for comments on it or any newer Chaparral boats. I've heard good things about Chaparral. What do you think?
Looking to buy a SSi 275 by next year and want this to be a "keeper". I can't afford a Cobalt, but want similar quality/fit and finish. I know Chaparral isn't quite as nice as a Cobalt, but heard it's just a step below. I've looked at the boat show, but it was hard to "really look" because of all the people. Going to make a trip to the Chaparral dealer soon, but wanted to hear other thoughts on here before.

Thanks

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chaparral SSi 275

I have the 280 SSi (2001), this is an open bow model and think that for the category it's one of the best boats you can buy. Very high qualtiy imho. I've owned a 207 sea ray, 240 mariah and 17' Citation over the yearsand spent 30 years on various boats of all types. This is what I liked a bout the Chap:

Very durable interior
All in one guages (mine has twins, but I think they use the same gauge on the single)
All access points in the deck are guttered with overboard drains (you don't see this very often)
Very good wiring, single bus for ground
Gel Coat and snap in carpet has held up very well
Excellent engine access (my entire rear seat section lifts, not sure about the 275)
VERY good ride, integrated/recessed tabs (set in recesses in the aft hull) are great
Very well though out bow filler - rugged is an understatement
Fit and Finish - above average
Above average freeboard (very deep cockpit)
Vacuflush head - VERY good decision on my part
and the BEST - Double helm seat - you don't see this in many boats this size, this is one of the primary reasons I selected the Chap over others. I pointed out to the sea ray dealer that in all their brochures, the "girl" in their boat (280 sundancer) was STANDING next to the captain underway. WHo would want that?

What I don't like..
Passenger seating could be a little bit better (backs are fairly low)

I looked at the 280 signature before deciding on the 280 SSi open bow and compared the 280 chap against the sea ray 280 sundancer, Night and day difference, the chap dealer actually had a 280 sundancer at the dock so you could compare both at once. I would look hard at all potentail models. They were both about the same price. I do like Sea Rays after market programs better (they have planned cruises, boating course for women and the like).

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have a 19 foot 2003 Chaparral here in the land of small lakes and the under 20 foot bowrider. I like these posts since we get to brag a little. The quality of the materials, build quality and ride are unsurpassed for the small bowrider since they do not cheapen their smaller boats. Your size boat has a lot more competition however. I can not even pull it out of the garage in my cul de sac without getting complements on it. A service worker working in the neighborhood several doors down actually went out of his way to come over and ask about it when I pulled it out last week to go on vacation. It sounds silly but I am suprised at the attention this simple little boat gets. They stand out that much above the crowd...again here where cheaper boats rule. My Chap has been the best purchase I have made in a long while but I paid a large premium for it. I could have bought two same year/sized/engine Bayliners for the price. Driving a premium boat to me is a better experience than not. I say this having driven a Bayliner for many years previously. The only thing I don't like is that I could not get the extended swim platform version to fit in my 3rd stall garage so I had to forgo it.

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great posts guys!
That's what I was looking to hear.
Glad you like your Chaps and thanks for the posts.

One thing I was concerned about with the 275 was the low transom and engine hatch seam. Probably wouldn't be a problem in a calm smaller lake, but if it got rough out in the bay, it looks like it would be easy to take on water... This is one of my questions for the dealer. What do you all think?

Attachments

• ssi275-3.jpg
    ssi275-3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0

jkust

Rear Admiral

If you are serious about this boat then you really need to go to the Chaparral manufacturer website. They have a forum for their Chap owners and it is very active unlike many other manufacturer forums. These guys are boaters' boaters and can answer all your questions. Most have much larger boats and cruisers (larger than my tiny bowrider). Seriously, these guys can help you with your selection and most have owned several boats and brands to get up to the cruiser level so have some great advice. There is an obvious bias to the Chap brand but they will be honest with you.

QC

Supreme Mariner

That was my thread on the almost sunk 236 SSi. Please see my other comments about Chap later in that thread though too. I am not concerned about that design if the hinge area is sealed better and the step ice chest drains outboard.

The difference between a Chap and a Cobalt to me is what you can't see at first glance. Climb around under the engine hatch and feel way back in under the step. GLOVES might be a good idea. Lots of sharp exposed stuff in the 236 that I have played with. Almost all else has been very good though.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I looked at a lot of boats before I picked up my Chap. I could not tell a discernible difference between the Cobalt and Chaparral models that I was looking at, except for the price. In fact I have had more than a few people mistake it for a Cobalt. Both are great brands and use only the best components and both have excellent design features but at the end of the day and after several test rides on both I went for the Chap because I just got a great deal on a 2 year old used one with 40 hours on it that still looked brand new. After owning it for a while now I can say that it is a great boat, and the Forums at the Chap website are great as well. I would poke around there for some more opinions since my boat is only 21' long.

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I'll check out the Chap owners forum. I've been on the website many times, but didn't see the forum. I'll go look closer.

Again, great replies. If anyone has more to add, please do.