Changing Micron-10 filter on Yamaha 115

I need to change my water/fuel seperator micron-10 filter for the first time on my 4-stroke yamaha 115.

Is the filter as easy as screwing it off, with an oil filter wrench I assume, and putting the new one on?

Do I grease the gasket before I install? Prime the filter in any way?

Last edited:

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Changing Micron-10 filter on Yamaha 115

screw off, screw on, pump primer ball till firm.

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Racor filter/water separator and they recommend to lightly coat the o-rings with petroleum jelly before installing and to check for leaks after running for a short time.

No need to pre-fill to prime filter. The primer ball has taken care of that in my experience with my set-up

robert graham

Admiral

just a bit of grease or oil on the gasket and you can tighten the filter just hand tight since there's not much pressure there and they don't tend to leak. I'm sure there are some opinions on this, but I've been just removing my filter, dumping it out on a clean rag or clean container to see what's in it and just put it back on(saves price of new filter), pump it back full with the bulb and set to go! I have a 12 gallon above deck fuel tank and just don't get much dirt or water in the fuel since I dump/clean the tank from time to time. No doubt in my mind that these fuel/water filter/seperators are the one greatest preventive maintenance item they ever came up with! Good Luck!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no grease, just engine oil.
the instructions are actually printed on the box and the filter for anyone who cares to read them.