Changing from winch rope, to winch strap

BrianN

Cadet
As I was winching the boat onto the trailer last weekend, the rope snapped. One of the things I never thought to replace, or, really look at before heading out.
I am replacing it this week, I hope.
My question would be, should I go with a 2,600lb, 5,000lb or 10,000lb break strength? Or, should I go by working load ratings?
I have a Malibu 162 weighing in at about 1800lbs dry.
Thanks for your help.
Brian

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
your winch strap/cable/rope.. what ever it is you use.. use a 1/2 ratio.. (ie- 2000lb boat= 1000lb strap). remember the rating on the strap is breaking point on a verticle hang..... your never near that weight when winching up a boat onto a trailer that's partially floating in the water too.......even when your out of the drink, it's still sliding on wet bunks or rollers... your winch capacity needs to be at least 1000lbs...

BrianN

Cadet
What's your winch rated for?

Winch is:
T1401
1400lbs. maximum line pull.
That doesn't sound right, 1400lb winch to pull an 1800lb boat? I understand that it is in water, but, the last bit of pulling the boat is mostly out of the water.
Should I get a more heavy duty winch?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
1400lb straight up... The load actually pulled is the mass of the boat times the sin of the angle of pull, plus friction. BTW, I have just replaced my galvanised winch cable with stainless steel... SO much better, and that should be the last time I replace the cable, ever! Look into it. The actual cost of the cable was less than a galled one from a 'boat' shop...

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I like thicker straps because they last longer in the sun. In the event that you accidentally cut it up a little by catching it in the winch the teeth it will still be strong. On the other hand if your boat takes a lot of effort to winch then a thinner strap takes up less room or height on the spool. The less height the lower the effective gear ratio is making it easier to crank. On the other hand again is if it's very easy to crank but you have a lot of cranking to do then you want the spool as full as you can so it pulls further with each revolution. That's where a thick long lasting strap is better than just the right weight rating. So any of them will work so why not get the one that will speed up and or reduce the effort to load it. Gets you off the ramp and out of my way faster. :)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Winch is:
T1401
1400lbs. maximum line pull.
That doesn't sound right, 1400lb winch to pull an 1800lb boat? I understand that it is in water, but, the last bit of pulling the boat is mostly out of the water.
Should I get a more heavy duty winch?

1400# is actually more than enough, a 1000# winch would be enough. Again, you aren't lifting the boat straight up. At most, you are probably getting a couple hundred pounds of load on the line with that boat.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
I switched from cable to strap.. my fingers thanked me :rolleyes:. if you feel more secure getting a 2000lb strap for a 1400 boat,, go for it!,, you can always use it to hang verticle for drip drying ;)

airshot

Rear Admiral
A big plus on the strap, replaced my winch cable many years back with a strap, will never go back to the cable.......go for the strap!!

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
and while you are at it: look at the BoatBuckle Latch-Lok strap (F17741). Much easier to open the hook and to tie up again all you have to do is push it against the bow eye. Cost is only marginally higher than a regular strap and it's rated for 4000#. Naturally you get less if your winch is rated lower as the weakest link wins....
My Admiral doesn't like to handle the boat in close quarters so she takes care of releasing and hooking it up and she was mad that I didn't replace the winch strap earlier......

Last edited:

BrianN

Cadet
Got the strap yesterday, now, jist have to wait to get the boat and trailer back. Never thought about the hook being weaker. One would think that the hook would be higher rated than the strap.