certification?

What do I need in order to sail in California? looking at getting into this but having a hard time finding where to start.

tommays

Admiral
Re: certification?

i would google sailing schools and then look at the ones in your area

Are you just starting OR looking to get a certification to rent a charter boat :confused:

Renny_D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

American sailing association or US sailing are both sailing certification bodies. They are not legally required but highly recomended. You can find schools at both of their websites.

Good luck

Renny

freddyray21

Commander

you do not need a certification to sail. It is advisable, but the basic certification is not much, but a good start. I don't know the purpose unless you would need to show it to rent a sailboat maybe.

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've rented before in touirst areas without a certification.

Just coming into sailing:

Do you know what kind of boat you wish to sail? You could try hooking up with a sailing group online. I'm sure there are plenty on the west coast that can give you a ride and show you some of the basics.

Then, if you enjoyed the ride sign up for the sailing classes or hook up with someone who can really show you the ropes. Points of sail, the basics of right away and most importantly recovery techniques if you are going to do any dinghy sailing.

gmceieio

Cadet

I had some sailing experience prior to going to ASA school. The training was worthwhile and prepared me for some events in the future.
There is no substitute for time on the water. If you have a strong desire to sail don?t hesitate to ask questions and talk to sailors. Before long, somebody will be leaving the marina and you will be invited along.
Good Luck!
Wishbone

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So true.. Sailors are very friendly folk and just like any boater, they love to talk about their boats.

Spending time at the local sailing club or local park is another great way to pick up tips and techniques on sailing (especially putting a boat together in parking lots)

Sailing is like riding a bike. Once you are shown how, it's a skill you never really forget. And practice only makes you better.

Fervbob

Recruit

What do I need in order to sail in California? looking at getting into this but having a hard time finding where to start.

There may be a sailing school closer to you in Oceanside, but Harbor Yacht Club in San Diego and Long Beach http://www.harboryc.com/ is where my wife and I got ASA certified for coastal cruising so we could embark on some Caribbean bareboat charters. They have a full range of training levels starting with 22' boats on up to over 40', and they're recently added several new boats (Hunters and Beneteaus) to their mostly Catalina fleet. Don't know if they still offer this, but if you aren't a local SD resident, your monthly club dues accrue toward boat rentals, which is what we've done for several years now, since we're in Fresno and only get down to SD once or twice a year. San Diego Bay is a wonderful place to spend a full day of sailing!

freddyray21

Commander

I've rented before in touirst areas without a certification.

renting a day sailor in tourist areas is possible without certification, but anything much bigger and they want your resume before renting. My inlaws have been sailing for years and are having to send their resume to the charter company to be approved. I do understand and having those papers means alot.

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've only rented boats under 22' since that's all the Sailboat I need.

I can see the requirement for a "resume" or certification for a boat that is larger than 22' though. That is common sense on the part of the boat rental company.

gobigkahuna

Seaman

I used to teach for Harbor Sailboats and Harbor Island Sailing Club (both on Harbor Island near the San Diego airport). I highly recommend either to get you started. Both are ASA certified schools btw.