center console transom fiberglass project

ryguy1101

Seaman
Just picked up an 18' center console hull and realized after getting it home that someone notched out the transom even lower (approx 4 inches) than the original factory cutout...I imagine to accommodate a shortshaft engine. Unfortunately, the engine I have is a longshaft. Any suggestions as to the best way to replace/rebuild this part of the transom so I can make sure I get the correct height of my lower unit/cavitation plate for performance purposes, and so I have a solid place to attach my top motor mount bolts. The rest of the transom is in EXCELLENT condition so I do not want to do anything to comporomise any of the original strength or mar the existing gelcoat any more than necessary to blend/feather in the new glasswork. Will add photos asap. Any "out of the box" ideas are also welcome, just not looking to jury-rig the repair as this boat is a nice upgrade for me and I want it to be "right".

Side note - My fiberglass abilities and familiarity probably rates a 3 or 4 out of 5 for a NON-professional.

Thanks guys!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: center console transom fiberglass project

Any "out of the box" ideas are also welcome, just not looking to jury-rig the repair as this boat is a nice upgrade for me and I want it to be "right".

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...
To do it "Right" is to restore it to Original....

Everything else is a "Cobb-job" of sorts...

You "Might" be able to jury rig a Jack-plate to make it work...