CEDAR

DHPMARINE

Captain
Planning on purchasing a cedar potting bench this weekend.It's not high end ($60.00).Any opinions on what to treat it with?I'm thinking along the lines of something that will absorb and protect,rather than a urethane-type coating.This bench will be outside year round.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />DHP

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: CEDAR

I'm a big fan of linseed oil mixed 50/50 with turps. Use lashings of it.

tommays

Admiral

Floods ? makes deck stuff with strong UV protection <br /><br />I used there check stop on my new cedar and it worked well<br /><br /><br />tommays

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

I would use "spar urethane" mixed about 50% with mineral spirits. Paint it on and wipe it off. set till dry then do again. That will keep it for several years. Chief

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> I'm a big fan of linseed oil mixed 50/50 with turps. Use lashings of it.
Ayuh,.......That's Boiled........

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If you are planning on staining it make sure you choose a light stain. Dark brown stains absorb to much heat.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Hi Guys !<br /><br />I'm appreciating your replies.<br /><br />So far I think the linseed oil (boiled) with turpentine sounds like it will penetrate the best (deepest).<br /><br />How would just the linseed oil work?<br /><br />I remember my Grandfather using it,and I don't recall him mixing it with anything.<br /><br />DHP<br /><br />Oh ....I don't plan on actually 'boiling' anything

Bondo

Staff member

Raw linseed oil, Takes ForEver to Dry<br />Boiled linseed Dries,.. After Awhile......<br />The Mix, helps it Dry Sooner,+ Possibly penetrate alittle bit better...........

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> Raw linseed oil, Takes ForEver to Dry<br />Boiled linseed Dries,.. After Awhile......<br />The Mix, helps it Dry Sooner,+ Possibly penetrate alittle bit better...........
Turpentine doesn't make your linsead oil dry any faster, nor does it make it penetrate any deeper, it simply makes is less waterproof and makes your work stink of turpentine for years to come. I havn't used linsead oil except for log homes and shingles in 20 years since better products have come to the marketplace. Chief

one more cast

Captain

I have some garden tools with the same handles that were on them when my grandpa used them. He died around 1960. Yup, treated with bioled linseed oil.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Unless you've got something with a UV protectant in it, won't it 'grey' even if the waterproofing lasts? That is if it's exposed to direct sunlight.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

You're right - no coatings that sit on the surface like polyurethane. Cedar is too oily to hold it which is why cedar stands up so well to the elements. Beyond this, I have nothing specifically in mind. I just powerwashed our cedar deck and now it's time to reseal it. I'm looking at my options since the stuff I used on it last time didn't hold up all that well.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is alittle trick I do with chainsaw carvings, use anti-freeze{green type} mixed with mineral spirits{thins it out}. There are a few carvers in the area that do this and have good luck.