CDM Tester Harness

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

Is there any place to get the following item cheap from?
Mercury 84-825207A 2 CDM TESTER HARNESS (aka CDI 511-5207A1)

It's selling at $50 somewhere but even that is quite a bit for 2 plastic connectors on a bunch of wires. I need no brand-new one - a used one will do, or perhaps just a pair of those connectors and I'll do the rest myself. There don't seem to be any on Ebay.

Many thanks in advance,

Dmitriy

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: CDM Tester Harness

I can help you build your own DVA (nothing but a 3 component sample and hold circuit.....diode rectifier, storage capacitor, and bleeder resistor), but as I recall, I have pushed a wire in the back side of the connector to make contact with the pin in lieu of a breakout harness. Otherwise you can use a battery operated (convenient) timing light like you used to set points and timing on the old breaker point auto ignitions putting the pickup near the sparkplug lead to check spark, and swap CDMs to determine if one is bad or not. You can pull the plugs to the CDMs and ohm out the stator. I don't see that you need to let lack of a harness limit your troubleshooting.

Best I can do to help.

Mark

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: CDM Tester Harness

Hi again Mark )

Thanks for your reply. Wrt the DVA I already followed someone's (perhaps yours) suggestion and got myself an Electronic Specialities ESP-640 DVA for a conventional multimeter, which saved quite a bit of money. Btw seen a few diagrams and even a Youtube video earlier today explaining how to make a DVA on one's own. However it'd probably cost me more everything counted... thanks for your suggestion to help with making a DVA anyway.

Sorry just realised I forgot what that CDM tester harness is actually for ))) Shopping for it all ahead of any problems to be sure I have anything and everything at hand if something goes wrong during my boating season, which unfortunately is just 3 weeks per year and so every single day is extremely precious. I'm a bit hesitant re tapping into the connector's back with a multimeter's probe every now and then but it's surely a good emergency way.

Do you know the name/ID of those 4-pin connectors and where to get them by chance? If they're easier to get I'll be better off making that harness myself: it's straightforward indeed. I suppose I could get a male one off a damaged harness but what about a female one?

Many thanks,

Dmitriy

Last edited: