Cavorting with the enemy?

q5ka

Seaman
Re: Cavorting with the enemy?

I am seeing more bad boaters all together last few years. I think the market has made it so any Tom, ****, and Harry (not to offend a real person with said names) can buy a cheap boat with more power than the person should ever have. They load it up and just cruse wherever they wish thinking there are no real signs so it means do as you please. It does not seem to matter what you have for boat/pwc/pontoon/etc. there is always some idiot that either does not know better or just does not care.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am seeing more bad boaters all together last few years. I think the market has made it so any Tom, ****, and Harry (not to offend a real person with said names) can buy a cheap boat with more power than the person should ever have. They load it up and just cruse wherever they wish thinking there are no real signs so it means do as you please. It does not seem to matter what you have for boat/pwc/pontoon/etc. there is always some idiot that either does not know better or just does not care.

I see the same with jetskis. Thankfully now they are getting a little more expensive. I just don't understand people who can go into something not knowing how they should behave.

example: big 28 foot boat pulls up infront of the launch, COVER IS STILL ON IT, NOTHING IS READY TO GO. Old man yells at him to move his *** and go get loaded up somewhere else. Of course he gets all huffy and moves. WTF

IVAZ

Scooter engines? Well actually mine uses a 1800cc 4 cylinder fuel injected supercharged 4 stroke developing around 225 horsepower and modded to bring my ski to around 77mph GPS speeds not BS dream-ometer speeds. I own both a super air nautique and multiple jet skis so i come from both sides of the stories too not biased. And this "scooter engine" is alot more powerful then both of the engines you have run.

Hi-tech little scooter engine you got there.
My truck has a Ford 5.0 and my car has a Chevy 454. Are you sure that tiny 1.8 engine is faster?

BTW Welcome to iboats:).

Tippin on 44's

Recruit

My truck has a Ford 5.0 and my car has a Chevy 454. Are you sure that tiny 1.8 engine is faster?

Well my truck has a duramax 6.6 and one of our boats a 454 and the nautique has a 6.0 409 HP engine.

IVAZ

Well my truck has a duramax 6.6 and one of our boats a 454 and the nautique has a 6.0 409 HP engine.

Sounds like you have some cool stuff. Good for you buddy.
Nautiques are nice.

EDIT: If this was a peeing match to you well, I'm the old man from Nantucket.:D

Tippin on 44's

Recruit

Sounds like you have some cool stuff. Good for you buddy.
Nautiques are nice.

Point im trying to get across is not every jetskiier is an assclown and not every jet skiier is a dumbass with a scooter engine. Yah there are some really stupid people on jetskiis, but people that know what they are doing like most of us are usually good people.

IVAZ

^^^^^^ A butt clown:confused:. They dont sound as funny as regular clowns.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

It may not be faster, but I guarantee it is a LOT quicker. (there is a difference)

IVAZ

It may not be faster, but I guarantee it is a LOT quicker. (there is a difference)

Explain faster vs quicker please. They sound the same.

IVAZ

acceleration.

Acceleration vs top speed, I get that. If you look up the definition of faster and quicker well, they sound the same.
I have no idea how much a jetski weights but, it does not take a genius to figure out it will accelerate better than something much bigger.
To me acceleration and top speed are irrelevant when I?m out in the water. I go to fish and pull my kids in the tube. I can go to the lake and just read a book and still enjoy myself. Some folks like to go fast in the water and I respect that as long as they respect the rules.
I get my speed fix at the track. My Chevelle runs 13.3's and I?m always messing with it to improve that number. I sold my 2000 Hayabusa 2 years ago, that?s the only scooter I would consider really fast. I?m sorry, 70-80 mph compared to 190+ mph just does not sound very impressive. Yeah I know its different in the water but like I said, I dont view the lake as a go fast place.

dfw-gtx

Recruit

It would seem to me that all categories of boaters have good and bad citizens... I did an informal poll at the beach this weekend and came to the conclusion that boats pulling tubes are one of the most irritating groups. There were three of them doing random circles just off the beach were 40 or 50 boats were anchored. Not only were they in the way of boats arriving or leaving the beach, they were kicking up wakes and rocking all the anchored boats. Even a jetski is usually more predictable than some boats pulling a tube.

BTW... I own a boat and a ski so am somewhat unbiased.

IVAZ

It would seem to me that all categories of boaters have good and bad citizens... I did an informal poll at the beach this weekend and came to the conclusion that boats pulling tubes are one of the most irritating groups. There were three of them doing random circles just off the beach were 40 or 50 boats were anchored. Not only were they in the way of boats arriving or leaving the beach, they were kicking up wakes and rocking all the anchored boats. Even a jetski is usually more predictable than some boats pulling a tube.

BTW... I own a boat and a ski so am somewhat unbiased.

I agree. You should stay away from areas where other people are anchored or traveling. Its a big safety issue to other boaters and the tuber.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Jet Skiers on the MN lakes I go to aren't over the top obnoxious. I see lots of what I would consider too young kids in their early teens being wreckless...just due to their being kids. I would love to have one though but it is not practical without having a lake home to store it.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Scooter engines? Well actually mine uses a 1800cc 4 cylinder fuel injected supercharged 4 stroke developing around 225 horsepower and modded to bring my ski to around 77mph GPS speeds not BS dream-ometer speeds. I own both a super air nautique and multiple jet skis so i come from both sides of the stories too not biased. And this "scooter engine" is alot more powerful then both of the engines you have run.

What Mods have you done to reach those speeds? There aren't to many skis that are faster and they all seem to be conversion skis with a 4-Tec (Sea-doo) engine in the GPR (Yamaha) hull. I have read that the 100 mph barrier has been officially broken (it has been documented).

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree that the tube pullers can be an annoynig or dangerous bunch ( and I pull tubes as well as lures, just at different speeds.) The driver is often distracted by the tuber and the fun of tubnig is not to go in a straight line, whereas good seamanship is geared to holding a course. The tuber has no control, and also needs no skill--tubing is an easy thrill. Compare slalom skiing: the boat goes straight, the skier controls, large wake is not an objective, and due to the skill it takes to master a ski, the skiier isn't usually some slob being dragged around on a float.
But bottom line, it's not the device but the manner and place of operation. My only across the board objection would be anything that is louder than it needs to be to function.

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am blessed because pretty much all of the the PWC pilots that i've encountered are pretty cool.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, my turn. I can't make up my mind. so I just do them all. I have a 30' sportfisher for my bluewater habit. and then if you will refer to picture below. I hate to leave anything at home. you just never know what you want to do when you get to the lake. you will note that behind my 27' southwind motorhome is my 17' haskell jet boat, on the same trailer is also my wife sea doo my 650 kawasaki stand up and our daughter 550. But what if the wind blows at the lake? why not take the 16' hobie cat. yes that is right behind my custom made jet boat trailer is my hobie cat. the whole rig is 18" over legal but I have not been bothered to date when towing it to the lake. but stopping for fuel can sometimes be a bit tricky. so not only do i cavort with the enemy I also am the enemy. but I have fun doing it. regards

Attachments

• 100_0094.jpg
    100_0094.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0

Andy in NY

Commander

I have to weigh in here...

I like jet skis, they are alot of fun. I would like to buy a pair someday. That being said, seems like the jet skiiers on the lake we go to are the rudest around. Generally, I don't make generalizations (no pun intended) but they are bad out here. I think the problem is 2 fold:

1) there is no patrol what so ever. I saw DEC once in the parking lot of the ramp, and the Sheriff's Department on the water on the 4th of July. Thats it.

2) the majority of the jet skiiers I see are young. REALLY young, like 16-20. Most of them have camps on the lake, and we seem to see the same ones over and over.

Now all the boaters out there arent perfect, but I have yet to have another boat come blasting within 20ft of me in a no wake zone while I am anchored out and fishing. The last time I was out the same guy "buzzed" me 3 or 4 times. Finally I took a video of him and a pic of his reg # and turned it in to the Sherrifs department.

There is also a cove on the backside of a sandar (peninsula) where there are always 20 or so boats beached... and the jetskis think its a great place to do 360's. One guy almost got his lights punched out after making alot of waves and a few boats slammed into each other. Then he beached his pwc. i thought they were going to attack him!