Catch & Release or On The Table

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
just curious .... given a choice, do you go fishing with the intent of putting food on the table or do you practice catch and release in most cases .... for me its mostly catch and release but the wife loves to eat fish so I do bring home what I can

Jim

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Catch & Release or On The Table

If there's fish in the freezer they get to swim away for another day, if there isn't any fish in the freezer they get an invitation to dinner.

I probably release 85% of my fish and don't feel like I have to keep everything I catch.

The freezer is out of fish right now, so when the Crappie start their fall feeding there will be some that hit the cleaning board... a slaughter on the water.;)

The only fish I keep are Crappie, Catfish, and maybe some White Bass if they look good.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I try to stock up with Walleye, Bass, Northern and panfish in the winter, especially late winter. Summer it's 95% musky fishing. If I ever get one to keep, it's going on the wall and not in the freezer.......:)

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't really care for fish though I do love fishing. A record bluegill or small mouth will most likely wind up on the wall the rest of them I will leave for another day.

scipper77

Commander

I fish primarily for largemouth. They are not good eating or at least I don't care for them. This will be the first year in the last few where I will not end up cooking any of the fish that I catch unless I catch something nice on my vacation later in the month.

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just curious .... given a choice, do you go fishing with the intent of putting food on the table or do you practice catch and release in most cases .... for me its mostly catch and release but the wife loves to eat fish so I do bring home what I can

Jim

when I go out....I go with the intention of putting one on the HOOK.....hehe
depends on what I may be lucky enough to catch...I usually throw them back after a million photo's...
as for the freezer.....no..straight to the frying pan....venison takes up to much room...plus have to keep room for any excess veggies...
If it's a Walleye....I may eat it right then and there....lol.............Fish On!

FM

Jlawsen

This time of year I'm doing research fishing mostly. I'm out getting an idea of how the fish are moving around so I'll know where they're going to be come Fall. It's catch and release right now. In June I was keeping, eating and sharing. In July I was keeping fewer but freezing them for smoking (darn hard to keep them lit but I manage), later. I've got three going in the smoker today. Later in October, when the fall season is peaking I'll be keeping and building up my winter layover stockpile. In Jan and Feb I'm back to research fishing for the early season June.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I release 98.8% of all the fish I catch.

We only keep Croakers, Tuna, Mahi, Striper and Flounder. I can’t stand frozen fish so it goes back if we can’t eat it or give it away the excess in the next day or two.

ngt

Really depends on the species and the size.

-Keeper Striper, coming home
-Keeper Sturgeon, coming home
-12+ inch perch, coming home
-36+ inch Leo, coming home
-Most any other Bass, swimming free
-Lake Trout, depends on how I'm feeling
-10+ inch Blue Gill, coming home if I can get enough to make it worth while
-10+ inch Crappie, coming home if I can get enough to make it worth while
-Any Ray, swimming free
-most other sharks, swimming free
-monkeyface eel, has to be big enough to be worth my time
-catfish, depends on where I'm catching them and the size
-keeper Rockfish, most of the time, coming home
-real river to ocean steel head on a fly in the river, I'll let you know when I get one
-salmon, I'll let you know when I get one
-crab, who goes fishing for crab and does catch and release? lol

that's about all I fish for

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am a 99.9% catch & release kind of guy. If i catch a really nice walleye i might keep it but most get let go to grow more and be caught by another lucky angler.

Jlawsen

-real river to ocean steel head on a fly in the river, I'll let you know when I get one

You better not let us know, I'll tell you why Saturday.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I always catch and release.....just sometimes its catch, fillet, then release.

they end up on the table if there is enough for a full meal.

ngt

You better not let us know, I'll tell you why Saturday.

my buddy fly fishes for them in his back yard. Is it restricted right now?

Jlawsen

If the fish has an adipose fin you can't keep it. If it doesn't you can. The adipose fin is removed from all hatchery fish so if it has it, it is a a natural and on the endangered species list. That's all of California, Oregon and Washington so it's not just some Russian River thing anymore.

ngt

If the fish has an adipose fin you can't keep it. If it doesn't you can. The adipose fin is removed from all hatchery fish so if it has it, it is a a natural and on the endangered species list. That's all of California, Oregon and Washington so it's not just some Russian River thing anymore.

Ok, fin = bad, no fin = good. Got it. Well, at least as far as keeping it goes.